Avacadough gnocchi with fire roasted salsa

Zippylip

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Last week while making the grenades, I started thinking about other ways to bend an avocado outside of its usual fate as lead guitar in guacamole. Thinking for a moment of the texture, it seemed apparent that it could, in its natural ripened but still raw state, be a good substitute for either cooked/riced potato or ricotta in a standard batch of gnocchi. So I mashed up a few & mixed with flour & egg, rested, doweled, cut, boiled, pan fried (kinda like pierogies to put a little edge on them), then topped with fire roasted chilies, tomatoes, onions, lime juice & cilantro along with a little dollop of sour cream.

002.jpg

chopped the grilled onion & peppers & tossed into the cast iron pan with diced tomatoes, cilantro, salt, pepper & olive oil - gave this a nice burst of cherry wood smoke for a while too, then fresh lime juice right before serving

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

after boiling a small batch, I fried them for a while

016.jpg

served as an appetizer with some sour cream & rub

019.jpg

020.jpg

then a plain boiled batch with the salsa

033.jpg

034.jpg

the wife & I couldn't agree on which version was better, she liked the fried ones while I thought the salsa-ed boiled ones were better, but in the end, they both washed down equally well with a cold beer so all is happy - have a great weekend everyone, Marc

I'd easily do them both, They look great:clap2: ,and a great weekend to you as well!

Wow, that is great looking, love the color and concept which I have never even considered.

Gnocchi is one of my all time favorites, probably because mom only made them for special occasions. I never even considered making gnocchis with anything but taters prior to seeing this thread. Thank you, they look great.

Gnocchi is one of my all time favorites, probably because mom only made them for special occasions. I never even considered making gnocchis with anything but taters prior to seeing this thread. Thank you, they look great.

Neil, me too, loved them since I was a kid. The tater method is certainly the most common & they are excellent. Occassionally I make them with whole milk ricotta instead, also excellent. About a month ago when I made the dizzy pumpkin sliders, the buns were essentially pumpkin gnocchi, squashed flat & fried in butter instead of boiled. That's pretty much when I figured out you could substitute just about anything for potato in gnocchi & they take on that flavor. This particular batch probably could have used a little more flour though, they were a little loose, but still good. Thanks, Marc

Great looking dishes Mark! I actually had my first gnocchi in my life about six moths ago! Very tasty for sure. Vince

Back