MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Bad day at a competition

Not because it was run bad, but because of the weather. My buddy Bill and I went up to the cooks meeting as it started to sprinkle. From inside we could hear that the rain was getting heavier. We got our stuff and went to where we could see the competition area from the barn only we couldn't see the competition area. I called Bob on his cell to see if he was alright. He was in the truck and said that everything was gone. What? yep, there are no canopies standing anywhere. I'm in the truck.

The rain and wind paused for a second or two and I could see what he was talking about. Total devestation except for two or three canopies that I could see. Then it hit again and just as hard with hail. When it slowed back down, the remaining canopies that had been standing were down as well.

All of the ez-ups were flattened or gone. The hercules canopies were just gonepicked up whole and thrown past the trees that were there. No sign of them. A couple of smashed wind shields, and a report of a cutting board lodged in the door of a camper.

The team behind us said they were bugging out. We set about picking up and gauging what needed to be done. about 15 minutes into this it started getting dark and we decided that we were going to bail as well as there was forecast for more of the same throughout the next day. Our charcoal and wood was dry so I found some teams that had sopping wet charcoal and wood and distributed it to them.

In all I think 5 of the 25 left. I wish them all the best of luck.

Tom the contest organizer felt horrible and did what he could. He apoligized a lot, even though we all knew it wasn't his fault. He had done a good job on everything so far that we had seen and we will return next year if they do it again.

Wish I would have gotten a few more pictures, especially of the port a pottie mess and the newly formed river running through camp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sucks.JPG (91.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg sucks2.JPG (87.4 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg sucks3.JPG (125.0 KB, 216 views)

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Greg,

Your words from the other thread were prophetic.

"Get ready for rain guys! Did you get the e-mail from the organizer?

Getting ready to pull out of here soon.

Glad no one was hurt!!

What a shame.

TIM

Old 09-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
chad

Man, that's rough!

We've had a bit of "weather" a couple of events but haven't lost anything or had to bail out!!

This is just one of the things you can "plan" for but just have to go into survival mode when it happens.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
MilitantSquatter

That sucks Greg...my apologies...

All those canopies got mangled... Looks like you'll need to do some new contest equipment shopping...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Greg, so..............damned glad you and Bob are safe. Coulda been a whole lot worse. Like the others said ya cant control Mother Nature.

Mike

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]

Last edited by bbqbull; 09-23-2006 at 07:20 PM..
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

Ouch! Son of a beeeeeyotch!!!! That's insane! Never seen anything like that before. I'm speechless. Glad no one was hurt in all that! Everything OK at home, Greg?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

What a bummer! Thanks for posting though, as it gives some of us competitor wannabes things to prepare for. What a mess.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Ouch! Son of a beeeeeyotch!!!! That's insane! Never seen anything like that before. I'm speechless. Glad no one was hurt in all that! Everything OK at home, Greg?
Not a drop back home.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
Jeff_in_KC

I'm glad I'm not competing this weekend... lots of guys around here are dealing with cold and wind and lots of rain earlier this morning. Got a call from Mokan Wayne around 8am this morning and could hear lots of rain pelting his hercules in the background.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 12:53 PM   #10
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Notice the rainbow in the first picture.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
butts
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the post. I guess the lesson is that we should all "be prepared". I'm always amazed at contests that people don't even bother to stake their tents down, or use the bucket method.

BTW: EZ-UPS are way over rated for the money. I have one that looks like yours (the worst part is that the company won't even respond to my warranty e-mails). It lost it's life in a rain storm while "airing out" in my back yard. My $50 tent has lived through several storms and it's still standing.
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #12
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That's ome scary stuff, Greg. Thank good ness no one was hurt but the flying tents, etc. There's some major storms happening today according to the CNN homepage. Hope everyone stays safe.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #13
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #14
bbqjoe
Banned

That's not a bad day.

That's a farkin disaster!!!
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #15
TexasGuppie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butts
BTW: EZ-UPS are way over rated for the money. I have one that looks like yours (the worst part is that the company won't even respond to my warranty e-mails).
When my two new 12'x12' EZ-ups were destroyed by straight-line winds this past 4th of July, EZ-Up told me to return them to the Academy Sporting Goods store where I bought them for a FULL REFUND OR EXCHANGE, no questions asked.

I was in and out with two new ones in the box in 15 minutes. The Manager at Academy said, "If it happens again, just bring 'em back and we'll do it again."

Some things in my life go m-u-c-h smoother than others!

Ken

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"You must go through the Valley to stand upon the mountain of God."[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Memory of Scott "E" Cook[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]3/29/1965-9/3/2006[/FONT]
TexasGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote