power is out

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Our power went off yesterday afternoon around 3 and is still not on. The power company said it should be on in the next 3 hours. My question is what food do yall think I need to throw away? Obviously milk and eggs but I don't know about lunch meat or stuff in the freezer.

Our power went off yesterday afternoon around 3 and is still not on. The power company said it should be on in the next 3 hours. My question is what food do yall think I need to throw away? Obviously milk and eggs but I don't know about lunch meat or stuff in the freezer.

If you can leave the freezer door closed the meat should stay frozen for several days. Then start cooking what you can. lol
If you had a pressure canner you could just can the meat. :-D

If your fridge is still cold the food should be fine. It acts as a big cooler when the powers out so as long as you don't leave the door wide open and let all the cool air go your food should be ok.

Eggs should be fine as they are often stored outside of the fridge anyway.

I'd ditch the milk but agree with everyone else that all should be fine as long as you didn't open the door to check it every hour.

The eggs should be fine in the shell, as long as they didn't get too warm. But, things with eggs in it, like mayonnaise should be tossed if they got warm.

Cured meats should be fine if you cook them soon. Raw chicken, I'd rather not chance it. Your veggies and most condiments should be fine.

Frozen foods will be fine, if they did not thaw completely. A freezer full of frozen food should be fine for 24 hours, especially if it was full.

All of my immediate family lives in Hurricane zones. My dad has a generator that he runs from time to time, to keep it ready. After Hurricane Ike, they had no power for about a week. The generator kept the Fridge and Freezer running. My sister brought her food to his house until she got power back.

If you live where power goes out, a portable generator is a good investment, as long as you don't mind keeping it in shape for a few years without needing it, so you are ready when you do.

CD

yeah I agree with everyone else. Don't be an idiot like me and just start throwing stuff away. My dumb a$$ threw away mustard, jelly - crazy mess after my fridge went bad! What are your temps there right now? Hope you get power back soon.

We lost ours in West Tn Sun morning about 5:30 am and I took 2 of my 150 qt vending coolers and took every thing out of 3 fridges and iced them down in them. We got our power back about lunch time today as we are the last house on the feed and a low priority for repairs.

Back