KCBS Reps

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
A great deal of attention is paid by event organizers to what amenities can be provided to competing teams. Often the same attention is aimed at attempting to make the event as palatable as possible for the judges (which after seeing a great deal of hostility towards judges and the judging system here might not be a concern for some teams).

I have never seen any discussions on what could be done to show our appreciation for the Reps and their hard work. I had the pleasure of spending a great deal of time this weekend with Don, Leslie, Jerry and Linda and I was kicking myself for not planning ahead.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on some small but meaningful ways that we can say 'thanks' to the Reps? I guess that right off the bat, we can ensure that they receive whatever the team gets (like 'goodie bags' or tee shirts).

I could have easily stopped and got them the daily paper and coffee or tea. Maybe had a cooler with their favorite soda/drinks in the judging tent.

Thoughts?

Eric

I gave ours Tequila and gift bags w/ Rubs, sauces, etc....

I know they really wanted the Tequila, though....:wink:

Good thoughts and thread, Eric.

If they aren't from the area, a special goodie bag with some local or regional favorite foods, etc.

I'm with plow boy, make it a personal bag with local stuff. Can even follow up with a small care package sent to their home after the event or the like. Maybe making sure they get specific places and times to eat?

Include the teams, too. If they have products, see if they'll donate.

I thought reps got paid, but I could very easily be wrong.

They for sure get their expenses paid for. I am not sure on any sort of a stipend

OK here is the official stuff Offer your reps lots of beer and alcohol during the contest.

REPS get paid huged amounts to go to a contest. Including reimburesement for travel expenses, here is the breakdown.

Travel time: 1 to 8 hours
Friday: Meet and Greet teams, conduct cooks meeting and visit all team in the evening before leaving 6 hours
Saturday Show clock and visit with each team early a.m., conduct Judges meeting, run turn in and judging attend awards 9-10 hours
Travel time home 1 to 8 hours
Avearge contest: Miss one day work, for no pay
and spend 23 hours for contest.
Therefore, I am paid about $6.52 per hour.

Now this is how most REPs do it. OF course if you go to a contest where you never see a rep, well they are overpaid.

Things you can do for your REP.
Unlimited pass to the Beer garden during the event. (Reps are prohibited from consuming alcohol during events.)
We do appreciate a goodie bag, aprons and t-shirts, most contest do take good care of their reps and it is appreciated.

Yours in Q
Merl
Saturday Show the clock

Merl,

Thanks for the insight. I'm a little confused. Where does the $6.52 come from? Is that from your mileage? Is that what is being considered here? Or the hotel costs? Or maybe the reps food expenses?

Or is there some other revenue for event reps that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Eric

I think they get paid $150 plus expenses.

That is really odd because I called the KCBS at around 5:10 this evening and the person I was speaking with said that they weren't paid.

Is this a conspiracy? Is the KCBS part of the Illuminati? This goes deeper than I thought!

Or the person at the offices was mistaken. Not quite as glamorous.

Eric

Either way Jerry and Linda Mullane were worth their weight in gold this weekend. What a wonderful job they did this past weekend and every other contest they rep'ed and we cooked.

Either way Jerry and Linda Mullane were worth their weight in gold this weekend. What a wonderful job they did this past weekend and every other contest they rep'ed and we cooked.

I'll second that! They and the Lovely's were great.

Eric

Yes we do get $150 from KCBS for a contest. This past weekend we had 2 contests, a grilling event on Sat and a KCBS event on Sunday. Therefore cut Merl's number in 1/2. We only get paid 1 time for the weekend. Now at some events we do more work than others. I am not going to get into the regional part of the job. If we didn't love what we were doing we would not do it. BBQers are the best. This is by no means a money making proposition. All of our organizers treat us very well and we appreciate it. Eric you were most attentive to our needs. As long as the organizers do their jobs and get enough judges, have a big enough tent, water, crackers, napkins, and keep the cooks happy our job flows. Thanks to everyone at Sayville for a great event.

Linda

Yes we do get $150 from KCBS for a contest. This past weekend we had 2 contests, a grilling event on Sat and a KCBS event on Sunday. Therefore cut Merl's number in 1/2. We only get paid 1 time for the weekend. Now at some events we do more work than others. I am not going to get into the regional part of the job. If we didn't love what we were doing we would not do it. BBQers are the best. This is by no means a money making proposition. All of our organizers treat us very well and we appreciate it. Eric you were most attentive to our needs. As long as the organizers do their jobs and get enough judges, have a big enough tent, water, crackers, napkins, and keep the cooks happy our job flows. Thanks to everyone at Sayville for a great event.

Linda

Linda,

Thanks to you all for the work. The $$ is certainly not why you are in it - your passion for the "sport" shows. I agree that event organizers should provide some form of "thanks" to the reps.

Eric - good thread. Let's let it flow and see what comes of it.

My ideas (if I were a rep):

- Local gift certs are a nice idea but the reps may not come back to the area for a long while.

- Drinks, snacks, etc. We all stock out sites with stuff we will eat/drink but they do not have the same convenience.

- Functional stuff like aprons, shirts, etc. will last.

- Sauces, rubs and food goodies would be nice.

- Gift certificate to Chilis - I want my Babybacks, Babybacks...JUST KIDDING!

- Local gift certs are a nice idea but the reps may not come back to the area for a long while.

A gift certificate to a national retailer would be nice. Every team chips in and somebody goes out and buys a home depot/lowes gift card etc.. I dont know of anybody who would not like receiving that. It doesnt have to food or bbq related. Its the gesture that counts

I almost would like to see something as kind of a 'tip'... And most reps I've seen do a great job and put in lots of hours.

But contributing to a gift card, or whatever, for some events would in some cases turn an already sour event into worse. Merl, not all reps do all that stuff you have listed, and at least $6.52 is more than I make at a comp. :) (I'm not bashing, just kidding).

Jeff, I don't doubt it. I've been to comps that were run really great, and others that the reps just showed up to do what they had to and that's it.

Back