MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Smoked Chili Recipes & Suggestions?

So, my company is having a chili cookoff here soon. Normally I am not interested in such things but for some reason I thought about giving it a whirl this time. Partially its because I need to clean out some leftover meat that is sitting in the freezer. Normally if I make chili I just throw some ground beef and pork in a crock pot with typical chili seasonings and just have "Normal" chili. This works fine for me and is an easy leftover to use on nachos, chili dogs, burritos, etc. However, this time I obviously need a little more flare.

I have seen mention of making smoked chili here and there but unfortunately a search for chili brings up more references to chili peppers than just chili. Thus, I am looking for any tips, hints or recipes from the brethren on this endeavor.

I have some pulled pork and burnt ends that I would like to incorporate into the chili instead of the typical ground beef and pork. Any objections? To me this seems like the perfect starting point using smoked meat in smoked chili. I also plan to use some smoked paprika, chipotle, and ancho but I am not sure if this is overkill. Once prepped, is there a real benefit to putting it on the smoker to cook and at what temp? Also, I do not have a pressure cooker or CI pot so would a normal pot or foil tray do?

One last thing, I would like to keep the heat level down a bit as apparently there are people that do not like spicy food but still want a little kick in the food for all the sane people that know what chili should be.

Thanks in advance.
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Came across this one from Bigabyte. Looks pretty good. Coffee??? Really??

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2267
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Came across this one from Bigabyte. Looks pretty good. Coffee??? Really??

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2267
Geez, I remember that, and looking at it I am stunned that I actually took measurements for that many ingredients! I liked it with the coffee, but you could opt for other liquid of course:

Here's the chili I made for the next years PTA supper...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23786

This is the kind of chili I make for myself.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=71695
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

I made some and instead of adding bacon, I precooked some pig candy and diced it into small pieces then right before serving sprinkled it on top. yummy
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote