Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #16
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I would weigh the meat for the sandwiches, and let people buy made sanwiches, at 1/4 pound of finished product per sandwich. I believe in AAWA's numbers, except that I consider 50% yield to be a pretty solid number, 60% has not been my experience once I have all of the meat trimmed and ready for the cooker.

100 pounds of meat in cryo does not mean 100 pounds of meat on the cooker. You are close, but, could be low by about 10%, so, if 190 sandwiches is fine, then you are golden. Weigh them, that is my biggest tip. Portioners are great for soft product, but, with meat, the variation can be quite notable.
Good advice coming from an ex Texan!

Webber 22 1/2 OTG Gold, UDS, rusted out chimney, Red Lavatools Thermowand, Maverick ET 732, 1950 model wife. Walking cane to help me get around.
retired trucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
Knows what a fatty is.

Well, I would like to buy several sauces, but it is the Church's money. So, I thought it would be safe to go with Sweet Baby Ray's Original. I plan of having enough Plow Boy's, that I am paying for, to where they won't need much sauce. I did figure for 1/4. Though we don't want folks to feel cheated on an $8 plate with baked beans and slaw, with their sandwich. I think one of the church members works in a school cafeteria and is bringing scales. I won't be doing the serving, only the smoking. I suggested that they get some chicken qtrs. just as a back up(30 lbs). Thanks for all the replies!! I'm happy that I at least, was in the same ballpark!!
HBT Reverse 400 Custom Smoker, Weber 26.75, PBC, Masterbuilt GS40, Weber Jumbo Joe.
aGATORSfan is offline   Reply With Quote