MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 AM   #3451
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Same build, 85 runs even smoother than it's little brother. 250 at center grate all day long!
If you can find one, build it!

I'll second that!! I love playing around with mine! Only difference between my 85 and 55 gallon drums is I have 4 intake vents.

Hey Meat Burner- the 15 gallon drum is a blast too!
If you have a Weber Smokey Joe you are set!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #3452
obnepec
Found some matches.

Default Thanks Barbarian!

Barbarian,

Thanks for the pics! Yes, thats pretty much what I wanted to do although I was just going to put the coals on one of my normal cooking racks with foil on it or something like that and lower the "grilling" food grate down a bit so that I can use the flat lid.

Obnepec
obnepec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #3453
CostaRican
Got Wood.

Ultimate thread! I scored a couple of 55 gallons that contained syrup. This thread got my drum built and it works really well...thanks
CostaRican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #3454
HawkeyeQue
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

OK, I've now read the entire thread and am all set to start my build. My one question that I have that I don't recall being answered is when using the Weber lid, if you have to make the mod with the top 2 inches of the kettle inserted into the top of your drum in order for the lid to fit. How is the insert secured into the drum? I'm doubting it slides in and makes a tight seal does it? Can anyone help here?
HawkeyeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #3455
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

HawkeyeQue:

Sometimes you get lucky and the Weber lid fits the lip of the drum perfectly. . Most of the time you have to cut the lip of the drum to fit the Weber lid or cut off 2-inches or so of the Weber kettle base and fix it to the top of the drum.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #3456
obnepec
Found some matches.

Default drums in Georgia??

All,

I live north of Atlanta and the best deal I have found so far is a reconditioned (ie rinsed) food grade barrel for about $25. Does anyone know of a better deal anywhere in the atlanta area? Would be willing to drive for a good deal but with today's gas prices it would have to be looked at.

Thanks for any help!
Obnepec
obnepec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #3457
HawkeyeQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
HawkeyeQue:

Sometimes you get lucky and the Weber lid fits the lip of the drum perfectly. . Most of the time you have to cut the lip of the drum to fit the Weber lid or cut off 2-inches or so of the Weber kettle base and fix it to the top of the drum.

Mark, when you say "fix it to the top of the drum" what do you mean by that? That is the question I have. I understand the why's I just don't get the how right now. I don't think it's ever been discussed in this thread. I'm doing mine with no welds so how would I get that 2 inch ring "fixed" to the top of my drum?

Also, another question that just came up as I went to HD over lunch. Expanded steel is damn expensive. It's $19 for a 24x24 sheet. Is there a better outlet for this than HD? is it easy to cut? will HD cut it for me? Thanks,

Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #3458
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeQue View Post
OK, I've now read the entire thread and am all set to start my build. My one question that I have that I don't recall being answered is when using the Weber lid, if you have to make the mod with the top 2 inches of the kettle inserted into the top of your drum in order for the lid to fit. How is the insert secured into the drum? I'm doubting it slides in and makes a tight seal does it? Can anyone help here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeQue View Post
Mark, when you say "fix it to the top of the drum" what do you mean by that? That is the question I have. I understand the why's I just don't get the how right now. I don't think it's ever been discussed in this thread. I'm doing mine with no welds so how would I get that 2 inch ring "fixed" to the top of my drum?

Also, another question that just came up as I went to HD over lunch. Expanded steel is damn expensive. It's $19 for a 24x24 sheet. Is there a better outlet for this than HD? is it easy to cut? will HD cut it for me? Thanks,
I'm thinking you read the condensed version.

It's all in here.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #3459
Mark

HawkeyeQue:

Perhaps the easiest way of mounting the top 2 inches of a Weber kettle base to the top of a drum is with red silicone.

Personally, this is the last method I would use as it just looks kind of crude to me. Not as bad as hammering out a Weber lid to fit a drum though.

My apologies to those who used either of these methods.

As for expanded steel. previous reports were that ACE hardware had better prices.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #3460
HawkeyeQue

Thanks Mark,

Bubba, trust me, I have read every single post in here. It's taken me about a week to do so.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #3461
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisterbret View Post
Hey all

This thread is crazy long ..to find my answer. I just bought some expanded metal to extend my Backwoods Party firebox. I just went 4 inches higher then the standard box. I fastened it together with some rods that I had to bend with tools. It's really too thick to work with. So I just put it together enough for a cook to see how it works.

What's everyone using to fasten their expanded metal? Any pics?

Thanks!!
Did you see my post a page back? - rebar tie wire worked well for me. Any home center will have it. A pair of lineman's pliers (also called Kleins) and you can twist it up and snip easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubbie View Post
WOW!

Got some scrap expanded metal from a friend who owns a metal fab shop. It was only about 5" tall, but very heavy so I didn't fuss one bit.
I didn't want to wait for Monday to go to his shop to weld it up, so used rebar wire tie to connect it.

Cut so pattern continues.

Bottom View

Kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #3462
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Default First Time Poster

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board and this is my first post. I thought I would share pictures of my new UDS that I built....all due to the information on this forum. I did a test cook for the first time last weekend....did some babybacks. Had some trouble maintaining temp above 200 I think due to my smaller charcoal basket. Anyways I plan to fix that this weekend and I'm cooking for a large party this Sunday. Plan on doing some spare ribs, pork butts, and chicken. Hopefully everything turns out well. Anyways here are some pics of my drum while building and cooking.

Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #3463
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

looks like you have plenty of exhaust. How many intakes did you have open? My drum runs 200 with one opened and 2 in exhaust. Your fire basket looks big enough also. Good lookin ribs by the way.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #3464
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

I have 4 intakes at the bottom which were drilled 1" in diameter and threaded with 3/4" piple nipples. I started out with all 4 open until the temp started getting close to 200 and then closed all but 1. As time went on and my temps started to drop I started taking 1 cap off of each intake until all 4 were open again. My charcaol ring I was using only measured about 7" in diameter. I plan to make it larger so its about 13-14" in diameter. Hopefully that will allow for longer cook times and more steady temp control

Patrick
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #3465
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-QueMaster View Post
I have 4 intakes at the bottom which were drilled 1" in diameter and threaded with 3/4" piple nipples. I started out with all 4 open until the temp started getting close to 200 and then closed all but 1. As time went on and my temps started to drop I started taking 1 cap off of each intake until all 4 were open again. My charcaol ring I was using only measured about 7" in diameter. I plan to make it larger so its about 13-14" in diameter. Hopefully that will allow for longer cook times and more steady temp control

Patrick
The charcoal basket your using, does it have just the holes around the top or do you have holes in the bottom as well? Its hard to tell from your pics. I've seen some people who have the same basket as yourself that cut the bottom out and replace it with expanded metal. Your fire may be choking itself out/not enough air holes in the basket to allow for higher temps.
Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker