Church campout with pron

Fat Cap

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was asked to cook a dinner this past Saturday at our annual Knights of Columbus/Church campout. I thought baby backs and Chicken sounded good. Grabbed some guys to help prep and away we went.

Ended up with 85 racks of ribs, and 24 whole chickens. We fed over 250 people. Crazy fun time! Spent a lot of time talking with people about the smoking "bug". I felt like I was teaching a class at one point (not that I am worthy of that).

Used a simple rub of paprika, salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a bit of brown sugar.

Smoked 3 hours at 230-240 degrees. Then used the ole Texas crutch:icon_blush:. Foiled them adding a bit more rub, some honey, more brown sugar, parkay squeeze, apple juice/cider spritz.

So busy that I didn' take enough pictures, and some of the pics were rushed and blurry.

Everything turned out great! The chicken was super juicy, and the ribs...Wow!!!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looks great! :hungry: I'm curious why you chose to use the crutch. Judging from the way you stated that, it sounds like you would have preferred not to. Was it a matter of getting everything ready to serve at once?

"Ended up with 85 racks of ribs, and 24 whole chickens. We fed over 250 people. Crazy fun time! Spent a lot of time talking with people about the smoking "bug". I felt like I was teaching a class at one point (not that I am worthy of that)."

I don't know, looks like you had an attentive audience, a great classroom and outstanding teaching aids - I bet everyone appreciated the schoolin!

"Ended up with 85 racks of ribs, and 24 whole chickens. We fed over 250 people. Crazy fun time! Spent a lot of time talking with people about the smoking "bug". I felt like I was teaching a class at one point (not that I am worthy of that)."

I don't know, looks like you had an attentive audience, a great classroom and outstanding teaching aids - I bet everyone appreciated the schoolin!

Absolutely correct.

That's one thing I've learned over the years - even if you believe or know that you don't know much, as long as you know more than the people who are asking you, you have something to offer.

Never feel like you're not qualified. If you know something they don't know, you're qualified to share your knowledge.

Looks great! :hungry: I'm curious why you chose to use the crutch. Judging from the way you stated that, it sounds like you would have preferred not to. Was it a matter of getting everything ready to serve at once?

Due to the amount of ribs, I didnt have room for both ribs and chicken. I wrapped two sets of ribs together so in effect, they took up 1/2 the space once wrapped.

I almost always use foil. Some call it a crutch. I like the way they turn out when I wrap. Everyone says they taste great. THat's what matters.

Yeah, it was a great time, and hopefully I imparted some knowledge. I find that a lot of people see the size of the smoker and figure that they would need a huge smoker to get the same results. I spent half of the time talking about backyard smokers and different setups and brands.

Absolutely correct.

That's one thing I've learned over the years - even if you believe or know that you don't know much, as long as you know more than the people who are asking you, you have something to offer.

Never feel like you're not qualified. If you know something they don't know, you're qualified to share your knowledge.

The one thing I like to drill into peoples heads is that you don't need a huge rig to smoke. And that it really isnt that difficult.

The thing I find funny is that it seems nobody wants to sit and talk during the "slow stretches" when I have a couple of hours to talk. Everyone gets really inquisitive once the doors are open and I am going balls to the wall.

Another point that I wanted tobring up is my two "helpers". During the planning of the campout, I made it real clear that I would need a couple of guys to work with me from prep through the smoke. These guys (Rich and Terry) really wanted to learn how to smoke. By Saturday afternoon these guys were really getting it. I am confident that they learned a ton. They both want me to help them build their own UDS. Two more smokeheads were born!

I have 2 more smokes at the church in august (200 ppl, and 500ppl) I think I will send out emails for helpers who want to learn how to smoke and spend all day listening to me babble.

Another point that I wanted tobring up is my two "helpers". During the planning of the campout, I made it real clear that I would need a couple of guys to work with me from prep through the smoke. These guys (Rich and Terry) really wanted to learn how to smoke. By Saturday afternoon these guys were really getting it. I am confident that they learned a ton. They both want me to help them build their own UDS. Two more smokeheads were born!

I have 2 more smokes at the church in august (200 ppl, and 500ppl) I think I will send out emails for helpers who want to learn how to smoke and spend all day listening to me babble.
Sounds like a competition BBQ team in the making to me.

What a great way to get to cook a bunch and share what you know!

Back