MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
leanza
Babbling Farker

Default Pure Wood Cook Is Novice Mistake.

In Mike Mills book "Peace Love BBQ", Mills goes on to say,

"A novice BBQ cook may not realize that the major heat source in BBQ should be the charcoal. People who get all of their heat directly from wood will oversmoke their meat. You can make your own charcoal by burning down your wood, but just using wood will not result in great BBQ. Smoke should be an ingredient....".

Intresting. I'd be interested in your opinion with regard to what he said. Thanks

Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

when I cut back on the amount of wood I was using I could tell a hugh differance. The other flavors I was tring for could come out and not be over powered by the smoke.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I'm going to focus on the word "novice" and agree with him if one is a novice. Heck, I know I did this the first time I used all wood in my first smoker. I didn't know at the time how to keep a small hot fire going and about preheating logs on the firebox so they catch fire quicker. However, I will say he's dead wrong when he says "using all wood will not result in great BBQ." Once you have learned how to manage the fire, you can make fantastic BBQ using wood and only wood.
I can't wait to see what our resident stickburners hafta say about this. This should be interesting.

Is there a difference in flavor when using only wood as opposed to only charcoal and chunks? Certainly. Just like there is a difference when using charcoal and chunks vs. gas and chips. Really just comes down to a personal preference. But it can all be great Q.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
MemphisQ
On the road to being a farker

It also depends on what and/or how you are smoking.

Smoking meats is more about the relationship you have with the piece of equipment and the meat (maybe I should get out more).

I agree the smoke is an ingredient. But in larger equipment you have more volume for the smoke to dissipate. You can control the heat and the amount of smoke you get much easier in larger equipment using only wood.

In smaller smokers the smoke is dense. You have little to no ability to control the amount of smoke with an all wood burn.

So the answer (from my opinion); Depends on what you are cooking and/or what you are cooking on.
MemphisQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I'm going to focus on the word "novice" and agree with him if one is a novice. Heck, I know I did this the first time I used all wood in my first smoker. I didn't know at the time how to keep a small hot fire going and about preheating logs on the firebox so they catch fire quicker. However, I will say he's dead wrong when he says "using all wood will not result in great BBQ." Once you have learned how to manage the fire, you can make fantastic BBQ using wood and only wood.
I can't wait to see what our resident stickburners hafta say about this. This should be interesting.

Is there a difference in flavor when using only wood as opposed to only charcoal and chunks? Certainly. Just like there is a difference when using charcoal and chunks vs. gas and chips. Really just comes down to a personal preference. But it can all be great Q.
I completely agree. I am not a stickburner but I sure have had some of the best que in my life from guys who burn nothing but wood. Where I'm from doing what I do which is use charcoal with chunks for smoke is weird to most old timers. Pretty much everyone who que's seriously are all stickburners. I agree with the "novice" part as well.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tru dat, Bob! "novice"

This is why we achieve "Sweet Blue."

Addiionally, It also depends on the age of your wood in terms of it being seasoned.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
Goose
Full Fledged Farker

I read that as when the wood immolates itself and it becomes charcoal. Not to start with a premade charcoal.

A cold wood fire is smokey and nasty.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am with Goose, I think the statement in the book is easy to miusread. I take it to mean do not cook over a hot wood fire that has not burned down to coals.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I think novice is the key word there. If you know what you are doing, I don't believe his statement is valid.
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
I think novice is the key word there. If you know what you are doing, I don't believe his statement is valid.
I agree, novice is the key here. 'cause, if you stay "sweet blue" you get
the smoke flavor but not the creosote. That said, in my personal opinion
of what I prefer, I think you can over-smoke babyback ribs even with
nothing but sweet blue. As such, I foil mine (shameful, I know) after
about 1:45.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
leanza
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I am with Goose, I think the statement in the book is easy to miusread. I take it to mean do not cook over a hot wood fire that has not burned down to coals.
See for yourself it's on page 298. It's not ambiguous.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Yeah it seems like he could have set the stage by explaining that while some types of cookers do work well using wood as the exculsive fuel, other cookers that a novice might begin expirementing with will fare better with a primarily charcoal heat source supplimented with wood for smoke... I'd say it's prolly a case of the editor over simplifying.

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I agree, novice is the key here. 'cause, if you stay "sweet blue" you get
the smoke flavor but not the creosote. That said, in my personal opinion
of what I prefer, I think you can over-smoke babyback ribs even with
nothing but sweet blue. As such, I foil mine (shameful, I know) after
about 1:45.
Nothing shameful bout that. All comes down to making Q that you like. Ain't nothing wrong with that.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisQ View Post
Smoking meats is more about the relationship you have with the piece of equipment and the meat (maybe I should get out more).

its ok, your among friends

Old 12-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Hmmm

this is post #15 in this thread.

i agree with 2 thu 14........ (welll, lake dog... if you think your ribs are too smokey for your taste, cook once with all wood and cook slightly hotter than usual. See if that makes it closer to your liking.)

I love this line
Quote:
People who get all of their heat directly from wood will oversmoke their meat.
ok.... Trig, Hart, Mixon, Stone.... shame on you guys... your oversmoking your meat.. Mr Mills said so.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote