Pork Butt - Wrap tight or in foil pan?

Ozzie Isaac

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am about to wrap a pork butt.

I was going to wrap it tight and put it back on the smoker to finish it, probably another 2 - 3 hours.

Should I wrap it tight, or should I put it in a foil pan and wrap over the top?

It's hard to fark up a pork butt. I've always wrapped them tight w/ about 1/8-1/4 cup of apple juice in the foil. Lots of folks do it the other way too, though, with excellent results. Pick one and go for it. You'll be fine. Next time, pick the other way and go for it and report your results. The Brethren love comparisons. :)

^^^^^ It's just personal preference. I've done it both ways with excellent results. Compare and see if you like one way more than the other. The only difference I see, is that putting it in a pan with some AJ and foiling is easier than wrapping tightly in foil.

I prefer the pan covered in foil. Does the job and is easier to keep all the juice.

I prefer to foil, cheap/easy.

Pan is fine too, I just don't always have a pan laying around but I always have foil.

Last time, I just went bareback and no wrap, it was outstanding.
Gonna try just the pan to catch juices next time.
I'm done foiling.

Just foil....I add a 1/2 can of Redds apple ale instead of apple juice. I drink the other 1/2 :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help guys. Glad pork butts are so forgiving. I went bareback last time. This time I foiled tightly, and next time I will do a pan and foil cover :) All the more reason to try again.

I find wrapping in foil and in the pan with about the same results. The aluminum pan method does make for easier cleanup and holds juices without running everywhere.

All the more reason to try again.
Absolutely. Years ago foiling was the ONLY way..
Now not so much. Delishus is delicious no matter HOW you spell it!

Back