The Shed BBQ & Blues-Ocean Springs, MS

eddieh70301

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
On my way back from Destin, FL stopped at the Shed for lunch today. Been wanting to give it a try, just never had a chance until now. I've had friends who have eaten at the Shed and raved how good the food was.

When I drove up, first thing I noticed was no smoke coming from the smokers. That concerned me a bit but didn't worry much. We arrived about 12:15. Line was kinda long but moved quickly. From the time we arrived until the time we received our food it was about 45 min.
My wife and I split a pulled pork/brisket plate with a side of fries and cole slaw.

My first impression of the meat items was no smoke ring. Not a big deal but I thought a BBQ joint that is successful as the Shed would have at least a noticeable ring. I've never eaten pulled brisket-when I ordered I asked for brisket, just assumed it would be sliced. Not sure if that's how they serve it or not.

The taste was really bland. No flavor of any kind, not smoke flavor at all no bark. Actually tasted more like my grand-mothers, cooked in the oven. That's not saying it was bad, just not what I expected.

The slaw was the standard mayo based. It was good, but not great. The fries were standard frozen shoe string fries.

I got the sauce on the side as didnt want to drown out the meat flavor. IMO, the sauce is what saved the meal. By no means was the sauce out of this world. It was good-different than anything I've tasted.

I'm certain they use foil for all of their meats, but given there was no smoke taste, makes me wonder at what point the meat was foiled.

My sister in law ordered the ribs with sauce. I did not try them but I could tell they were over-cooked as the meat simply fell off the bone. But that's how a lot of people eat ribs. She said they were really good and was satisfied.

Has anyone eaten at this place recently and if so, what were your thoughts?

Anyway, I'm now glad that I got to try this place. I'll probably go back when I am in the area, but I'll stick to my pulled pork. Still have to work on the brisket.

It's been several years since I ate there but your experience is close to what I remember except my wait was shorter than yours.

I went before it burned and it was OK for store bought. I am on vacation that way over the 4th holiday and I am sure my brood will want to go, as they liked it last time. It will be interesting to compare the differences if nothing else...

I wish I had my phone with my to snap a few photo's. The brisket sure did not look like brisket. Maybe it was an off day but at their prices, there should be no off day.
The two meat plate with two sides is $17. a drink was $2.50.
I hope your experience is better than mine.

I wish I had my phone with my to snap a few photo's. The brisket sure did not look like brisket. Maybe it was an off day but at their prices, there should be no off day.
The two meat plate with two sides is $17. a drink was $2.50.
I hope your experience is better than mine.
The food at The Shed is ok, worth the stop but like any place you can get a off meal. The Shed is really about the food,the music, and the party. I stop there on my way to New Orleans.

The food at The Shed is ok, worth the stop but like any place you can get a off meal. The Shed is really about the food,the music, and the party. I stop there on my way to New Orleans.
Next time you are in NOLA, eat at the Joint, if you haven't tried it yet. Cochon Butcher is also great. they serve a bellie poboy and it's killer.

I ate there for the first time a month or so ago and was not impressed at all. High prices, bland meat with no smoke flavor, and gloppy Kraft-like sauce. The pulled pork was so watery that it tasted like it had been cooked in a crock pot, and the place looks like a junkyard. I won't be going back.

OK, stopped in at lunch today on our way back home. Tried the jumbo sampler (wife and I split it). And my daughter got a 2 meat plate. Not impressed with the sides, but the potato salad was deemed good by my daughter. BBQ Beans were canned, and the mac-n-cheese was poor, IMO. And my wife didn't eat it, and she likes mac-n-cheese. The meats were average to above average for store bought, at least from everywhere I have tried. Least favorite was the yard bird, as agreed to by all. As posted above, the ribs were mushy, but my bunch liked them that way. I agree, the brisket to me does not seem to be brisket, seems more like pulled chuckie to me. It was OK to me though, just not what I expected. The pulled pork was pretty good. As well as the sausage...

We arrived at a good time, because we walked right in, about 15 minutes later there was a line out in the parking lot...

Back