• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

raining, perfect day for a brisket.

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I haven't had a day off since memorial day and save fathers day I won't have another for several weeks. What can I say, there is demand for espionage and subterfuge. This looks like the only chance to smoke this 13 lbs brisket in the fridge.

I trimmed it up last night and made up a batch of flash powder.

Fired up the smokey mountain at 8, rubbed the hunk of meat with seasoning and she was on by 8:45.

I use the stainless bowl to help squeeze it in and to keep bark destroying juice from pooling.

Using the maverick to monitor things while I stay dry and inside.

I made one change to my normal routine. No slather base this time, I'll see if I notice a difference.

I'll cook under 250 for the first 2 hours, bump up to 300ish after that and ramp down after the stall, that's just how I roll............to be continued

ninja.gif

About 2 hrs in. @ 295 now and IT is 138. I'll pull the bowl out next time I check on it. I'll know then if my bark is forming the way I like or if the slather makes a difference. I get nice bark with my standard technique.

Great trim job.

Thanks. I left more fat than usual. Left some of that chunk of fat between the flat and point and a nice amount of fat cap. I'll be buying a new knife for prep next week (I started a thread to guide me to a good one). From my experience I get a juicier brisket with more fat left on.

Took the bowl away. Bark formation is good but slower then normal. Not a bad thing, I've been getting crazy bark and it could be toned down just a bit.

OK, question, why the bowl??? Never seen that before but then I haven't seen a lot :)

Well it stopped raining the Suns out and someone's in my chair. Guess I'll do sone yard work.

I'd say the brisket has about 2 more hours to go.

Came out well. Judging by the small piece of flat left everyone else liked it. You can always tell if your Q was any good by how much they eat.

Wasn't such a bad day after all.

Looks great.

Recipe for flash powder. I can't find the thread on it.

Looks great.

Recipe for flash powder. I can't find the thread on it.

Here's the recipe from the original thread

1 part Kosher salt
1 part coarse salt
3.5 parts Coarse black pepper
1 Lemon pepper
1 turbinado sugar
1 smoked paprika
.5 chipolte
.5 cayenne

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187955

It's closer to 4 parts peppercorn melody 1 part chipolte or any Chile you like now and + .5 lemon peel. I would like if you tried it and gave me feed back. This rub makes stellar bark @ 275_300.

Last edited:
That looks delicious. If looks are any indication of flavor I bet it was great.

Back