2013 Offset Smoker Poll

If you were to purchase an offset smoker from one of these builders, price and size being equal, whi

• Gator Pit

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Klose

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Pits by JJ

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FIREPIT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Help me decide on an offset smoker. I didn't have much luck with my last thread. If you were to purchase an offset smoker from one of these builders, price and size being equal, which one would you buy?

Thanks for voting!

First choice would be lang, esp if you're getting reverse flow.

Second would be gator or jambo, but I don't own one, I'm just going off research I did off pictures and their own websites and such.

I can only speak to the Klose. I love mine.  I know people love their Gators. I'm not as familiar with Pits by JJ.

I took the poll because you stated all things equal (Price and Size) I chose Klose in the poll.

But in the real world all things are not equal (especially price, quality, and shipping) so I truly prefer a Lang.

I would Jambo to that list. It's a very well built cooker at a competitive price

I have had a Klose in the past. If I was to go back to a stick burner I wouldnt think twice, I get another only bigger.

Gators anit cheap but they are REALLY WELL built. and worth every penny. Quality costs!

Since I run a Gator, that's the one I chose. To be honest, I think any of the "high end" builders would be fine. I just enjoyed talking to Ritch when I called and he built me just what I wanted. No complaints from me.

yeah, i've heard really good thing about bubba- I should look into it.

I dont own one YET, But I Would seriously look into Bubba Grills. I talked to Lonnie the other day and he was extremely helpful and a great guy to talk to about his pits. He has several models at great prices or will build whatever you can think of.

I really looking forward to working with him on my pit in the future.

But good luck with whatever you choose.:thumb:

That is a hard hypothetical scenario - because not every fabricator offers the same features, options, same size for the same price.

Klose is a traditional offset - which offers a 1/2" firebox and an upright option on the opposite end of the firebox. The design does reveal hot/cold spots that can be used as an advantage of a simultaneous multi-temp zone cooking from one heat source.

Lang is a reverse flow smoker - reduces the hot/cold by preheating a full length baffle under the cooking grates. Reverse flow smokers are recognizable by having the smokestack and firebox on the same side. The vertical chamber option is built over the firebox.

Each has their pro's and cons - both are great cookers.

Last edited:
I'm currently having an R&O pit built, non comp, so I'd say call Billie. Out of the three, I can't see any issues with any of them and to me there is something I really like about Pits by JJ. That something is more than likely shipping costs to AZ though.

One thing I would look at is shipping times. Once you write the down payment check, you start daydreaming so make sure it's within a reasonable time period.

Back