MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:23 AM   #16
rcupp
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

So let us know where you went, what you liked, what you didn't like, etc...
Robert

Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
donlapalma
Found some matches.

Glad I found this thread. I'm headed to KC this weekend for my KCBS judging certification and appreciate all the tips here. Can't wait to get my grub on!
donlapalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #18
rcupp

I'm headed back too this weekend, truck pull Fri/Sat night up north of town. I'll be hitting Danny Edwards about noon Sat!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #19
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

I was disappointed in Arthur Bryants, but found "Smokin' Guns" to be WONDERFUL!!!

Got the "Triple D" platter (same platter that Guy Fieri had on his show "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives").
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
donlapalma
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
I was disappointed in Arthur Bryants, but found "Smokin' Guns" to be WONDERFUL!!!

Got the "Triple D" platter (same platter that Guy Fieri had on his show "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives").
What about it disappointed you? Arthur Bryant's was on my list so I wonder if I should hit up Smokin Guns instead. I'm not in KC very long so I have to be selective....unfortunately.
donlapalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #21
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

I'd definitely do Arthur Bryant's, just because it is Arthur Bryant's!!! It is the "Sonny Bryan's" of KC! A MECCA! However, my experience was far less than what I was expecting - I got the Burnt Ends and Pulled Pork platter, and the pile of meat was totally soaked in sauce when I got it. The sauce was pretty dad-gum good, but that was all I could taste - not the beef or pork! They give you white bread along with the meal and I might as well have just gotten the bread with sauce, as that was all that I could taste! One word of caution: One platter will easily feed 3-4 people! I don't hardly ever throw out food, but both my wife and I got platters and we could only eat about 1/2 of one plate! Also, go mid-day (3-4:30) if you don't want to stand out the door in line!
That was my AB experience. Others might say different, but that was mine!

Good luck and have fun wherever you end up!!!

ENJOY!!!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #22
mep
Full Fledged Farker

You might want to try SLAP's, in Kansas City, KS. These are the guys that came in second on the last bbq Pitmasters show. Brisket and burnt ends Are the things to order there. They are only open from 11am till they are sold out.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:02 AM   #23
rcupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
What about it disappointed you? Arthur Bryant's was on my list so I wonder if I should hit up Smokin Guns instead. I'm not in KC very long so I have to be selective....unfortunately.
If you do Bryants get the sliced pork/sausage combo Mmmm!
Don't use the stock paint stripper sauce, use one or a mix of the other two, you don't want to ruin your sandwich.
Just sayin'

Also a beef sandwich at Danny Edwards is kick butt too!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 AM   #24
xraymike
Got rid of the matchlight.

Have to agree- Rosedale is great. Check out Wyandot BBQ in KCK as well.
xraymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 PM   #25
Blacksheep-Joe
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Joe Batterton

Me and my wife made a trip to KC last weekend and had lunch at Arthur Bryants. Good BBQ and great mojo! We will go back soon.....way too many great BBQ joints to try out KC!
Blacksheep-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #26
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Had lunch yesterday at Oklahoma Joes south location. The brisket was sliced really thin but had a nice flavor but the ribs were dry and disappointing. Same for the spicy slaw which was not spicy at all and the beans. Best part was the hot sauce. They are not as hood as they used to be. This happens when you get too big. Should have gone to Plowboys but didn't have time.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #27
Chuck_NE
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey guys sorry this took so long to get back to. My plan of doing 5+ places in one day proved to be unattainable. In part because we decide to meet some friends at Oklahoma Joes. There we had burnt ends, brisket, and pulled pork. It was humbling to say the least. All were fantastic. Our next stop for dinner was Jack Stack. I opted for the rib platter with 5 different kinds of ribs. My wife did a few different meats but all I remember of hers for certain was the sausage. Damn it was good. Out of everything I ate at both places the beef ribs at Jack Stack were probably the best.

Oh...If you find yourself in Martin City go to Martin City Brewing. They just opened in February and have some truly great beer. Just down the road from the original Jack Stack.
Chuck_NE is offline   Reply With Quote