Experiments in Brisket (just planning, so no pron)

Brew n Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
In anticipation of my new offset arriving in the next couple weeks, I was thinking of some brisket experiments to run. I will run one experiment at a time, so it will probably take a year to get through them all. Im sure some of these have been done already, but i would like to do it for myself. Here are the ones I have thought of so far. Any other suggestions for experiments are greatly appreciated.

-Franklin's salt and pepper rub vs Lewis' mustard and pickle juice rub
-Hot and fast vs low and slow
-Butcher paper vs foil
-Water pan vs no water pan
-hot and fast for first part of cook, then low and slow to finish

In anticipation of my new offset arriving in the next couple weeks, I was thinking of some brisket experiments to run. I will run one experiment at a time, so it will probably take a year to get through them all. Im sure some of these have been done already, but i would like to do it for myself. Here are the ones I have thought of so far. Any other suggestions for experiments are greatly appreciated.

-Butcher paper vs foil

Sounds like a great plan. I'd be interested in seeing a time chart that recorded both weight and more importantly, thickness of the brisket both at the point and at the flat. If you were to be smoking straight flats, even better.

Reasoning behind this is that I think "X mins per pound" is far from reliable. "X mins per inch of thickness" should be a better guideline.

Id be interested in seeing Franklin s against Lewis. Never done strait salt and pepper on anything before. But I guess that is the classic texas style.

I applaud your thinking, experiment with different ideas and styles, see what works for you. More people need to do this.

-Butcher paper vs foil

I would think you would want to change the last test case to the other way around. I would go low and slow at first to get a good amount of smoke taste and ring, and then hot and fast to finish it up.

I would think you would want to change the last test case to the other way around. I would go low and slow at first to get a good amount of smoke taste and ring, and then hot and fast to finish it up.

My thinking behind doing hot and fast first is to get the internal temp up quickly and get past the stall. Then, so that the entire piece of meat stays relatively similar in temperature, go low and slow to finish until probe tender. My hypothesis is that the brisket would finish a lot quicker than low and slow, but won't dry out too much on the outsides and thinner parts.

My thinking behind doing hot and fast first is to get the internal temp up quickly and get past the stall. Then, so that the entire piece of meat stays relatively similar in temperature, go low and slow to finish until probe tender. My hypothesis is that the brisket would finish a lot quicker than low and slow, but won't dry out too much on the outsides and thinner parts.

Umm, how about trying both ? :bow:

That said, you could go lo and slow up to about 125-135 degrees, then crank it for a hot and fast to blow through the stall. Guess that makes 3 methods to try :p

Back