MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default Pulled Pork and Pulled Beef (chuck) for 400-500!!

Just got a call for a drop off of pulled pork and pulled beef for 400-500 people! Know my question is of course how many cases of pork and beef would you prepare and also price.

I'm figuring right now if my numbers are correct on 125lbs of both pork and beef and a price of $850. Does that sound about right to you for drop off? Thanks in advance! Gotta love Graduation time!

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

850.00 Sounds way to cheap to me, thats only $2 pp. Are you dropping off hot ready to go? Do you mean 40-50 people???

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
850.00 Sounds way to cheap to me, thats only $2 pp. Are you dropping off hot ready to go? Do you mean 40-50 people???
Were dropping it off , they warm it up and its 400 to 500 people!

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

At the wholesale level when we sell pork in this area by the pound, we charge $8 for pork and $9 for brisket. That is the best way for you to do it with them. I would say by the pound if you are dropping it off. 125X8= 1000 for pork and 125X9 = 1125 for beef. Total sale prepared would be 2125.00. thats what I would charge, maybe a little more.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
At the wholesale level when we sell pork in this area by the pound, we charge $8 for pork and $9 for brisket. That is the best way for you to do it with them. I would say by the pound if you are dropping it off. 125X8= 1000 for pork and 125X9 = 1125 for beef. Total sale prepared would be 2125.00. thats what I would charge, maybe a little more.

Same here thats alot of grub.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

To quote Chief Bodie: "You're gonna need a bigger boat".

If you are serving 1/4 pound of each to 400-500 people you'll need about:
200# raw of each meat. The yield on chuck and pork but is only about 60%
This would provide approximately 480 1/4/ pound servings of each meat.

I'd charge at least $8.00 per pound delivered.

So, 240# x 8 = $1920.00

You can certainly do it cheaper, but you are going to work your tail off.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I doubt that I would pull down the local catering businesses by under charging for this gig. It really underminds a good industry when you do it on the cheap...... unless it is for the church.... haha

That said, do it and you will realize what a big mistake it is for that amount of work you will encounter..... and you will never make that mistake again.... do you think the lesson is worth $100 profit?

Just go to the duckybob website and you can get prices on what it costs to rent a cooker for one day.... I learned from another caterer that you should always factor in $100-$150 for each job to cover wear and tear on your pit.

That will be a full day and then some of work for that job. What is your time worth? At the very least you need to figure out the cost and then add the desired profit. Then if you haven't done this before, bump up your cost about 25%. I try for $1000 per day if I am required to be there and serve (entertain).

One option you should consider......

Whenever I have a catering job, I will call a few regular customers and see if they need some food as well. Two weeks ago, I got a drop off job (50 people $500 profit) then I made some calls and got two more jobs for that same day, both drop off. One 20 people and the other 30 people. It got me almost to my $1000 profit for the day. Well that is technically a lie because one job (30 people) was a freebie since my wife was hosting a baby shower and I want to keep my head.... The point is, you can literally make something from nothing with a little drive.

I only do a few jobs per month and this works for me.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am with the $8 per lb. group as well. That is a lot of hog and cow to be cooking for free essentially