I HATE Chicken

All fired up

Reaction score
The guy that said whoever came up with scraping chicken skins should burn in hell is right on the money. Anyways i'm going to try brining for the first time with thighs and ofcourse try for the bite through skin. Any tips would be great.

There is a thread on here where someone expermented for bite through. He tried several things including scraping or not. Mayo, butter, olive oil. Brushed on or not. I'm mobile and can't find it. I'm. Sure someone can.

I just read that you should have a min temp of 300* for chicken to crisp it up. 350* is ideal. Going to try it on a whole chicken this afternoon.

I just read that you should have a min temp of 300* for chicken to crisp it up. 350* is ideal. Going to try it on a whole chicken this afternoon.

P.S. If it starts getting to crispy,tent it with alum foil.

Let people experiment till their hearts content with chicken skin but it aint rocket science....HEAT, and NOT indirect. Direct heat doesn't have to mean grilling, searing or close proximity to the fire....Just let your chicken see the fire- so to speak. Let it get a sun burn!

High heat is what I've found out helps. I smoke it around 275 and almost always bite through skin. Try 300 and u should be good

I love chicken.... Omg i love it..... I get crispy bite thru chicken ever time... My mamma showed me how45 years ago....get a whole chicken.... Cut it up.... Make sure i get the pulley bone... Cover it with flour... Salt a little bit ... And cook in crisco oil in a black iron skillet... But not real fast.... I swear it never fails bite thru crispy chicken skin.....

Let people experiment till their hearts content with chicken skin but it aint rocket science....HEAT, and NOT indirect. Direct heat doesn't have to mean grilling, searing or close proximity to the fire....Just let your chicken see the fire- so to speak. Let it get a sun burn!

As an example of what Fwismoker is saying, when I put beer can chickens on my grill I rotate the chicken about half way through. That way I have nice crisp skin on both sides. Even though it is indirect heat one side is "seeing the fire".

I have to agree with the scraping skin comment. I used to do it as well, but found that if you don't cook it right, it can actually make it tougher. I have since discovered a couple of new way to prepare chicken and have success every time.

Peel back the skin and trim any thicker areas away, then poke holes all over the skin using the tip of your knife or use a jacarder. These little holes will allow the fat to escape while flavoring your bird. Season it up then wrap the skin back over the chicken tightly.

Not sure of your cooking technique, but there are tricks there too. Sadly they are not "real" bbq or grilling techniques though.

I love chicken.... Omg i love it..... I get crispy bite thru chicken ever time... My mamma showed me how45 years ago....get a whole chicken.... Cut it up.... Make sure i get the pulley bone... Cover it with flour... Salt a little bit ... And cook in crisco oil in a black iron skillet... But not real fast.... I swear it never fails bite thru crispy chicken skin.....

That's nice and I'm sure it is delicious but we are talking about SMOKING chicken,here,not frying.

The biggest thing that makes chicken skin rubbery is simply unrendered fat. If you get rid of the fat by scraping, well, problem solved, but it sucks to do it. You could also just get rid of the skin but it really helps to maintain juices and flavor and texture, so no one does that. This is why frying chicken makes such nice skin, because nothing melts out fat like direct contact with hot oil.

I agree with just poking the skin all over, also trimming and big globs of fat that are really in excess. The only time I have real issues with skin is doing whole birds, in the joints like around the legs or wings, since these don't get much exposure to heat.

I've been told that air chilled chicken produces better bite through, and less rubbery, skin.

Brother i know what you meant... I am at work today at the refinery and was trying to pitch in Saturday morning humor....

But smoking it ... Might be the problem..... With the rubbery skin..... Aight I'm gonna hush my humor may get me classified as being a S.A. ... But i am just having fun.... Scraping that skin would put me in a mental institution...

The guy that said whoever came up with scraping chicken skins should burn in hell is right on the money. Anyways i'm going to try brining for the first time with thighs and ofcourse try for the bite through skin. Any tips would be great.

I've been told that air chilled chicken produces better bite through, and less rubbery, skin.

No idea who came up with the idea of scraping chicken skin, but Julia Child mentioned scraping the fat from duck skin quite a while ago... anyways it works and not only gives me perfect skin, but removes well over 200 calories (from fat) from each thigh. Since the skin is off I season under it too, giving more flavor.

DSC08884a.jpg

Organic air chilled chicken or the Smart Chicken really does have nicer skin and a better flavor. I just did a pack of organic thighs yesterday.

ajsVehN.jpg

Gorgeous chicken there thirdeye....I don't even have a Smart phone, but could see trying some of that Smart chicken.....

Ok here it goes, get a un-enhanced chicken ( fryer or roasting hen). Brine for 4-5 hrs then rinse thoroughly or soak for 10 min. Dry the chicken off, then coat the chicken with peanut oil. Apply your rub (I use Adkins Western BBQ rub). I use beercan chicken stands to set the chicken vertical, with or without the can. Set the smoker up 325°-350° with pecan and cherry wood. Cook to 165 at the breast. Place the stand and chicken on a cookie sheet and rest in the vertical for 15 min, (tent if you want, I don't).
The brine, 1 gallon water, 1cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1T black peppercorns, 1T Old Bay crab boil mix. Heat the mixture to dissolve the salt and sugar. Let it cool on the stove to room temp, then put it in the fridge, overnight. Put the chicken in a bucket with the brine and add enough cold water to cover the chicken.

This is what works for me! :)

Back