MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #541
DENALI
Knows what a fatty is.

On the size of your butcher paper, this might work for you like i do it in the bodyshop. We have rolls of sandpaper and masking paper mounted on the wall and pass the "tail" behind a hacksaw blade that is fastened to the wall at both ends below the paper roll. We have marks running down the wall below the blade for different lengths. We pull the paper down to the mark we want and tear it off. The hacksaw blade work perfectly.

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #542
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Great thread, good luck. Have to believe a roll of paper cut to length needed would be easier and cheaper in the long run. Might be able to various widths. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #543
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

In the bakery world, pre-cut sheets rule. There is a lot less waste of both paper and time, they even take up less space than rolls. I believe the local BBQ place out here that serves on butcher paper uses pre-cut.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #544
bwsawman
On the road to being a farker

First I would like to thank marubozo for inviting us to join him for the test night...it was a lot of fun to check everything out. It was especially nice to be able to try EVERYTHING "on the house" and get a taste of all of it instead of just picking an item or two.

I'm glad that all of this snow that is coming right now did not come last night because I would have missed out. The 2 1/2 hour trip was worth it for me, my wife, and our little girl...the food was great! I just wish The Prized Pig was about 2 hours closer !

We have a "smoke house" restaurant about five miles from us but we were extremely disappointed in the place and I doubt we will ever go there again. The Prized Pig is what I was hoping for when the "smoke house" opened here in town.

I'm sure The Prized Pig will be a huge hit there in Niles and I wish marubozo and his team the best. Looking forward to stopping in when I'm in the area again.

P.S. I have never had a pickle like that before and I'm eagerly waiting for the secret recipe!
bwsawman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #545
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Ok, just because the brethren are so damn awesome, here's my pickle recipe. This is my home sized recipe that makes two quart jars or so.

Ingredients
• 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white vinegar
• 8-12 cloves of garlic
• 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt
• A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
• 1 teaspoon coriander seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

16 members found this post helpful.
2Fat, aawa, Ag76, ajmcedar, bbqwilly, Bryan139, Buckeye Bob, Bugman, cb25, cbolt72, cirk, cokenn, CoreyM, Countryboyswagger, deguerre, Diesel Dave, fingerlickin', Fleetz, frognot, fwdiii, Grabnabber, gtr, Guando, Hankdad1, Hitman0321, hittman, Hog1990, HookedOnQ, J15491, Jack Daniels, Jbowie, jcopple, JSholar, landarc, leabraun, LYU370, Mgd_fish, Mister Bob, MisterChrister, njfoses, North Is Up, Nut, oifmarine2003, olesmoker, Packmanjim, palmcoastbob, PaSmoker, PatAttack, Piggysquealers, Pitmaster T, Pole D, Q Junkie, razorbrewer, RDOwens, RevZiLLa, rickv14623, Rob3640, Scottydont81, ShadowDriver, SkinnyVinny, Slasher, smokainmuskoka, smoke ninja, Smokin'Butts, SmokyWoodturner, spinningwheel, Steam67, tasterner, Tat-que, Taylormade, tb80, TBASS, Texas.Eggineer, toddrhodes, USMCKoontz, Vestal, WildcatGirl, worldwarz
Old 12-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #546
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats on what sounds like a very successful trial run! And I wish you all the success in the world on this new journey you are on.

That pickle recipe looks pretty easy to do. I've nevertheless tried to do pickles, but the memory of my mom's homemade pickles as a little kid has me definitely interested in giving this a try.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #547
Fleetz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Congratulations.....much success for your new venture.

Regards,

Fleetz
Fleetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #548
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow!! Just read the whole thread---what I see is that your prior planning has assured a good outcome(even if delayed)---don't get your way much from the middle of Wisconsin but have been known to travel for brisket!!!!!
Good luck
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #549
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
1. Mac and cheese was too dry. I knew this going in. It dried out after sitting in the steam table. Will have to tweak the recipe.
I had the same problem when I first opened. I had a fantastic Mac and Cheese till it sat in the steam table took me a week or so of tweaks to get it to i was happy.

Excited to see you open and lookin forward to your updates!

Clint
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #550
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I see you mentioned coffee.
Brother you've gone over the top with everything, please don't go middle of the line on the coffee.
I know of some places that have good food, yours I'm betting is great, but serve crappy cheap coffee. I don't go back to them and neither do others in our area.
Sometimes after eating you like to sit around and shoot the chit over a cup or two.
And the cheap stuff just don't keep people around.

Looking forward to meeting you soon

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #551
tasterner
is one Smokin' Farker

Congratulations man, very very happy for you!!

-18.5" WSM
-22.5" WSM
- Large BGE
- Primo Oval XL
- Kenmore Gasser -- RIP 5/31/12
tasterner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #552
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Congratulations and good luck!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #553
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsawman View Post
... It was especially nice to be able to try EVERYTHING "on the house" and get a taste of all of it instead of just picking an item or two.
That makes me wonder if there is a "Sampler Platter" on the menu that would allow folks to sample everything on an ongoing basis. If you want to introduce new things to the menu, one way to do that would be to include them on the sampler platter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
I see you mentioned coffee.
Brother you've gone over the top with everything, please don't go middle of the line on the coffee.
When I saw the mention of no coffee, I blanched! I guess I do fit the characterization of old. And I couldn't agree more. I'm disappointed by a restaurant that serves coffee that reminds me of that ancient joke whose punchline is "Well sir, it was ground just this morning." ("Waiter! this coffee tastes like mud!") I like my coffee brewed strong from a dark roast. I wonder how hard it is to find a blend that will please the majority of guests.

Anyway... It sounds like the first day was a great success and you have identified some opportunities for improvement. Perhaps there are some business opportunities as well (e.g selling whole or bulk brisket, though I suspect that also involves some risk as it takes control of serving out of your hands.)

I can't wait until we are close enough to stop by for a visit and a meal.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #554
bjbbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Really wishing you the best in your venture. Looks to be going well so far and it seems that you have a great plan in place to make it successful. I am about a month and a half away from opening my BBQ restaurant and am excited to see how well you are being received in your community. Like you said, it feels good to see a bunch of people eating your food and enjoying themselves in your restaurant. I hope to feel that way very soon.

Good Luck!

Bj
bjbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #555
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Sounds like a great "opening" day.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote