My Butt's getting cold!

B

BC Griller

Forgive the pun, but I was not expecting this. First time with pork butt and I have 2 on the grill right now. In 3 1/2 hours at 225 the temp rose to 162. An hour later at 167 I flipped the butts and put a little apple juice and vinegar on them. I also put the temp probe in a new spot - felt like all meat.

The next half hour the meat dropped 4 degrees
Then another 3 degree drop in the next half hour
Then another 3 degree drop in the next half hour

The Primo is still at 225 - 230 but after 6 hours I'm down to 157. I've heard they may stall, or drop slightly in temp. But dropping for an hour and a half?

What has been your experience?

Thanks to all those still awake at this hour.

You might be next to the bone in the butt. If I use a probe in a butt, I never move it. You are definately in the plateau stage, and are in either a really dense part of the muscle or next to the bone.

May be on the rise?

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I'm still staying awake and hoping for the best.

At 6.5 hrs it was at 155. Strange. Now at 7 hrs it shot all the way up to 156. Woo Hoo! At least I'm not going down anymore!

Interesting comment about being next to the bone. I would have assumed that would cause it to read hotter?

If it continues to change as slowly as this, I might be able to catch a nap.

Honestly its pretty hard to mess up a Pork butt!:p Knock on wood!
The bone is still pretty rare yet, so colder...
sorry, not familar with the Primo, is that like an BGE? me, I have a UDS, and take naps often, LOL! once it goes over 160, I foil until internal temps reach 200*, and cooler them.
Can't wait to see finished pics... You are taking pics right? No pics it didn't happen...!:p

I had a butt once drop in temp. It was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen.

Once I start cooking, I never move the meat or the probe.

I'd have to agree with the rest - I've had them drop, stall, move up so slow it was maddening! But, it'll get there when it's ready. The first bite is usually worth the wait!

13.5 hours later...

It's cooler time! Took a nap for 3 hours and the meat came up a whole 4 degrees to 163. Then things started moving at about 8 degrees an hour. I pulled it off the Primo at 8:30 (192 internal). It's wrapped and resting in my cooler. I'm hoping that around lunch time it'll be cool enough to handle.

FirstButtBurn.jpg

It looks and smells nice enough for a first timer And I even have a pic! :p

my boss just did a 8 lb brisket flat that took 28 hours to finish...at 200.

I did 2 boston butts last week and had nearly the same thing happen. Dropped 3 degrees, stalled for awhile, then BAM started quickly and steadily rising. I've heard other people state the same problem...only to have the meat overshoot very quickly because they were caught off-guard.

Back