UDS and Galvanized

AzQer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I realize there are issues with Galvanized and heat and putting off a harmfull vapor. So here is my question, for the intake pipe and plugs can this be Galvinazed and also the 2" exhaust I know with all the brothers here someone will know if I will die from eating the food or is it not as big of an issue in the circumstance. Thanks for the input all it is all appreciated.

I was going to do some mods on my OK Joe's, I.E. Heat deflector and tuning pans. I was told then to never ever use galvanized no matter what or where in your cooker. I have yet to make those mods, so am interested in hearing what some of the others have to say on this topic.

The rule of thumb goes something like Roo mentioned: Use it nowhere, no matter where it is. Just to be safe.

I don't want to have to say prayers later because some part of you is falling off. :D

Ditto what Arlin said. It ain't worth the risk. I've heard too much nasty stuff about the galvanized to want it anywhere near my food. Better safe than sorry.

you can also buy most fittings in stainless(prefered metal for cooking). they will never rust and eliminate any "fumes" issue.

I think the danger is real but overrated. You first need to understand the hot-dip galvenizing process. Evaporation temperature of zinc varies from 1200 to. 670 K (1700 to 710 deg. F relative to pressure. Attached is a PDF that describes the symptoms

Hot-dip galvanizing
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hot-dip galvanizing is a form of galvanization. It is the process of coating iron or steel with a thin zinc layer, by passing the steel through a molten bath of zinc at a temperature of around 860 °F (460 °C). When exposed to the atmosphere, pure zinc reacts with oxygen to form zinc oxide, which further reacts with carbon dioxide to form zinc carbonate, a dull grey, fairly strong material that stops further corrosion in many circumstances, protecting the steel below from the elements. Galvanized steel is widely used in applications where rust resistance is needed, and can be identified by the crystallization patterning on the surface (often called a "spangle").

The process of hot-dip galvanizing results in a metallurgical bond between zinc and steel with a series of distinct iron-zinc alloys. The resulting coated steel can be used in much the same way as uncoated. Galvanized steel can be welded; however, one must exercise caution around the resulting zinc fumes. Galvanized steel is suitable for high-temperature applications of up to 392 °F (200 °C). Use at temperatures above this level will result in peeling of the zinc at the intermetallic layer. Galvanized sheet steel is commonly used in automotive manufacture to enhance corrosion performance of exterior body panels of some models.

Steel strip can be hot-dip galvanized in a continuous line. Hot-dip galvanized steel strip (also sometimes loosely referred to as galvanized iron) is extensively used for applications requiring the strength of steel and resistance to corrosion. Applications include: roofing and walling, consumer appliances and automotive body parts. One common use is in metal pails. They are also used in most heating and cooling duct systems in buildings

Individual metal articles, such as steel girders or wrought iron gates, can be hot-dip galvanized by a process called batch galvanizing. Other modern techniques have largely replaced hot-dip for these sorts of roles. This includes electrogalvanizing, which deposits the layer of zinc from an aqueous electrolyte by electroplating, forming a thinner and much stronger bond.

Last edited:
I realize there are issues with Galvanized and heat and putting off a harmfull vapor. So here is my question, for the intake pipe and plugs can this be Galvinazed and also the 2" exhaust I know with all the brothers here someone will know if I will die from eating the food or is it not as big of an issue in the circumstance. Thanks for the input all it is all appreciated.

It's your health! I just wouldn't serve anything to anybody else. If you are willing to take a chance with your health over a couple extra bucks to get the right pipe and fittings thats your perogative. I don't think black pipe is much more expensive.

I agree I just had access for free to all the Galvanized stuff I needed that was the reason I was asking. I dont mind purchacing the stuff I just had it for free.

If you have to you can use muratic acid and it will eat the galvanized coating off. If it is for a UDS parts should omly be about $10-$15. Not worth the hassle.

I agree thanks guys I knew I could count on you to give me the good advice. Much appreciated.

There is really no risk from the zinc in galvanized pipes. You would never get the metal coating hot enough or breath enough to be harmful. Would not hurt the meat if it absorbed a little zinc. You would get a lot more zinc in one Zycam cold pill.

The problem comes form the fact that most zinc used for galvanizing in not very pure and it usually contains large amounts of lead and some possible mercury. These are bad players. They would easily vaporize at almost any temperature and would be VERY harmful if they contaminated the meat. This is the real "Paul Harvey" concerning galvanized metal. Thats why you get conflicting stories about zinc being harmful. We have way TOO much lead in our environment already. (lead solder in your pipes, leaded gas all those years, lead paint,....the list goes on and on. No need to add anymore!

Just play it save and avoid galvanized metal in your cooker. Metal contamination is not like organic contamination. You can burn off organic contamination but not lead contamination. (you cannot "destroy" elemental metals)

I would pay $20 extra just not to have to worry about it!

My $0.02 after reading this discussion for years.

Good points about impurities in zinc. Especially considering most of this $hit is now made in China.

Back