MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #256
Funky D
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel4_20 View Post
I cant fully explain this to you because i don't fully understand it but i think it has to do with the convection action in the BBQ when the lid is down it will circulate the moisture as well. I'm sure there's a better explanation out there but like i said i don't fully get it but have experienced it and never used water or any liquid again and my meats always come out moist and tender.
Ah, if it's just liquid in general... that's a whole different debate. I've made great BBQ with and without. Myron definitely has his opinions as well... ;) I just wanted to make sure you weren't warning me about liquid with this particular cooker.
Funky D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #257
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
This does make sense, but then there's this...
The Komodo Kamado is a very well insulated cooker. You can comfortably put your hand on the outside of it at searing temps. That said, you can also hold very low and slow temps, reportedly for up to 48 hours on a single load. Is it just that it's a super tight cooker?
I thought about that as I was typing. It could be that the Komodo weights like 500 pounds and the sheer size of the thing compensates? I hope somebody with one of those weighs in. I'd really like to have one some day.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #258
AZ Smoker

Love to hear more feedback on this. Sounds like its priced right at $249 after rebates etc.

I was on the fence with this vs the 22.5" Weber Kettle with a Smokenator
AZ Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #259
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Smoker View Post
Love to hear more feedback on this. Sounds like its priced right at $249 after rebates etc.

I was on the fence with this vs the 22.5" Weber Kettle with a Smokenator
That's a really nice looking setup for the Weber kettle, but these two systems aren't really all that comparable. The Kamado has a lot of versatility but I do believe that it excels at higher temperature cooks compared to about anything else out there. The Weber with (or without) the Smokenator is fully capable of low and slow cooking.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #260
PrinceofQ

What about using a Terra-Cotta Saucer as a heat deflector. Then it could also function as a drip pan and you can set it on the Weber 22.5 replacement charcoal grate that you're using. I use the saucer on my WSM with great results.

Let me know what you guys think

I have those both already, so I will give it a try once I get my CGK put together :)

~Jay

Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #261
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceofQ View Post
What about using a Terra-Cotta Saucer as a heat deflector. Then it could also function as a drip pan and you can set it on the Weber 22.5 replacement charcoal grate that you're using. I use the saucer on my WSM with great results.

I have those both already, so I will give it a try once I get my CGK put together :)

~Jay
A terra-cotta saucer is a great diffuser, I use one of these in my 2nd keg. Like you said it doubles as a drip pan too.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #262
PrinceofQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
A terra-cotta saucer is a great diffuser, I use one of these in my 2nd keg. Like you said it doubles as a drip pan too.
Plus it's less cleanup for those like me with OCD lol Foil the saucer and you're good to go

Old 03-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #263
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I have two weber kettles and they are great grills. You can do low and slow with it but it is really not ideal for that in my opinion. I usually use my UDS when I want to go low and slow. However, I see a great deal of versatility in the CG Kamado. It will do low and slow very well, and will do screaming hot well if you want to do that. You can cook most anything on this product and do it efficiently as JM has demonstrated. It looks like a great value to me I want one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
That's a really nice looking setup for the Weber kettle, but these two systems aren't really all that comparable. The Kamado has a lot of versatility but I do believe that it excels at higher temperature cooks compared to about anything else out there. The Weber with (or without) the Smokenator is fully capable of low and slow cooking.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #264
PrinceofQ

Hey JM...looks like it might be time to start up that CGK fan club :)

I am eager to get mine put together today, but unfortunately my wife is in bed sick and our 3 yr old is running around like a crazy person lol

Hope to get it put together tomorrow :)

Enjoyed all your great videos man!

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #265
RMsmokes
Got rid of the matchlight.

I love my CGK, have not had a lot of time to use it but my first two cooks went great. JM thanks for the videos they put me over the edge and got me to buy. It would be nice to get a CGK section going somewhere for posting about our cooks.
RMsmokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #266
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceofQ View Post

~Jay
I am using a 14" terra cotta saucer in mine. I cooked spareribs last night and it worked great and caught lots of grease that otherwise would have ended up in the ash pan. Cleanup was easy this morning as the grease had solidified. I just removed the greasy foil and tossed it.
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #267
Funky D

First cook was a huge success here. I believe the muffin tin helped keep the heat even and steady, although I did run into a little trouble during the wrap.

Pulled the ribs off to wrap em, and in the amount of time it took me to pull them off, and onto a tray, the locomotive went full steam. The coals and wood I had in there fired up enough that after wrapping and returning to the Acorn, temps were in the 350 range, and couldn't be coaxed down easily. Ribs steamed a little too hot, and were a little too tender for my liking, but the color/flavor was perfect.

After closing it all off, I do see some smoke leaks from around the bottom vent, so I'll likely plug those like JM did. Still, very happy. $.50 worth of charcoal never tasted so good!
Funky D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #268
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

I've got two filet mignon's rubbed up and marinating in olive oil, worsteshire and soy. Mushrooms cleaned cut and foiled up in butter, fresh crushed garlic and soy. It's all going to hit the Akorn in a few hours for my first cook on it after getting it seasoned last night.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #269
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMsmokes View Post
I love my CGK, have not had a lot of time to use it but my first two cooks went great. JM thanks for the videos they put me over the edge and got me to buy. It would be nice to get a CGK section going somewhere for posting about our cooks.
If there is enough interest in this group of owners to do this, I'd be happy to create a blog where everyone could post their cooks, experiences, and photographs.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #270
RW
Full Fledged Farker

Count me in. I would love a place where owners could share tips and recipes for the Akorn. Thanks, JM.
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado