Will this work?

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Reaction score
The fire grates on my Silver Smoker keep getting trashed by the heat of the charcoal/wood fires I use to smoke butts and briskets. I was in my local Lowes yesterday and they are clearing out all their BBQ accessories now that summer's over. I found a couple of Char-Broil adjustable lava rock grates normally $29.99 on sale for $7.65 each. These are very heavy duty metal with 3 different legth sets of legs for varying heights. I checked the measurements and they will fit in my firebox perfectly. Question is, since they are intended for ceramic/lava briquettes that probably don't get as hot as direct contact with RO lump and mesquite coals, are they going to hold up? As a bonus, if I use the longest set of legs, I will get an additional couple of inches clearance under the coals so I won't have to clean out ashes so often over a 12-16 hour cook. Any opinions?

I'd say give 'em a shot; I still have my ol' orig NB silver smoker and if they will give you the room you need underneath, go for it.
I'm no thermal scientist but it sounds to me like they should last a while; for eight bucks a piece, not a big loss if they dont.

I did the same mod on my Char Griller Pro and so far I haven't had any trouble. Holds up better than the original. Got about 10 runs on it and so far so good.:-D

Don't see why they shouldn't. You may want to give a good rub down with oil or cooking spray so that they season and cure a bit, heavier duty is always a good thing. Are these new ones cast iron? Thanks for the heads up on the grilling clearance at Lowes. I need to make a visit and see what's on the chopping block locally.

They're not cast iron, just some thick rod stock. Not chromed or porcelain coated, either. I'm gonna leave one shrink-wrapped for the future and do some sort of seasoning on the other before I actually cook with it. I guess at seven bucks, if I get one season out of it, I've done okay. The things must weigh about 10 pounds apiece, so whatever it's made of it might last awhile.

If they are bare metal they will work just fine. But rub some oil on em when they are good and hot and before you put the meat on em. One good cook on em is all you need to get them seasoned. The more you use em the better they will get. Since they are bare metal you may see them start to form rust in areas that aren't seasoned. I did this with a coal grate for a kettle. It worked just fine. Just made sure to hit it with the brush before and after each cook and every cook seasoned it more and more.

I'm not going to put meat on them, they are going to be used as fire grates in the firebox of my offset smoker. I have cast iron cooking grates in the smoke chamber. The thin chrome grates that come with the cheap offsets like mine don't last long when they have a pile of burning RO lump and a couple of mesquite chunks sitting on them for 10 - 12 hours while you're trying to get the brisket done. I am hoping these things will last a couple of years so I don't have to keep calling Brinkman to send me new fire grates.

Duh......nevermind. What I was reading and the picture I was creating in my mind were two different things. But, your idea should work just as good. You did say fire grates and I didn't catch that.

Back