**Imperial Kamado** CL Score/Restoration Project

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just love it when things come together! I responded to a craigslist ad on Thursday, it said "ceramic hibachi, flowerpot or yard art $15." I talked the guy into holding it for me until Saturday and pulling the ad, it was over an hours drive away from me, but I was going to be in the area for my daughters Volleyball Tournament. Turns out it was 2 miles away from the school!

Imperial Kamado Modern Style Medium

100_2501.jpg

100_2500.jpg

100_2499.jpg

Replacement parts are not available for these Japanese Imperial Kamados, but the stainless Steel draft door from BGE will fit and not rust out. The firebox will be a challenge but some refractory cement should do the job and I'm up to it! 16" grill and 24" tall, it should fit in nicely with my Modern Large.

100_2502.jpg

IK in an old BGE trolley

100_2498.jpg

Another Kamado rescued! $15

Daughter's team, Rain City Thunder won the Domino's Pizza 16U Divison I Volleyball Tournament- Priceless!

First one I've seen with the bottom taperred like that. Keep us updated on your newest score.

First one I've seen with the bottom taperred like that. Keep us updated on your newest score.

I've got a Large Modern and they were only made from 1974-1986 and discontinued. That's why I'm really excited about this one! The Large has the tapered bottom also. Or as Dr.BBQ once called it a "shaved tail"!
http://imperialkamado.com/i_japaneseKamadoHibachi.htm

I'm still kind of kicking myself for walking away on 9" clay Kamado some time ago. It was a Traditional #0, similar in size of a Mini Big Green Egg. At the time I thought it was too much to pay $50, but I've yet to see another.

Another K owner

Your the man, way to go. I used my #4 tonight for chicken, turned out great. Keep up the good work. Smokeydog

Dude, did you just get that in Tacoma?

Yup! Way outta my CL retrieval range, but since I was going to be in Spanaway it wasn't out of the way. The pic in the posting was pretty poor and it was a gamble that paid off.

I was mad that I missed that but my neighbored just gave me a bunch of razor clams they got at Ocean Shores today so life is good again!

Man you need a Craigslist intervention. Can't wait to see the rehab finished.

So thats what they look like. I just answered an ad for "an original Big green egg". But when I called the guy says it has a reddish color. Hmm. I think its one of these Kamados.

***Let the Restoration Begin!***

Took it apart today and scraped off the crud and other than the firebox its in pretty decent shape.

100_2504.jpg

100_2508.jpg

Anybody like puzzles?

100_2506.jpg

Tools of the trade, JB-Weld and Hercules Furnace Cement

100_2507.jpg

Cut the bolt heads off to remove the slider

100_2505.jpg

100_2509.jpg

100_2510.jpg

If it doesn't warm up I may have to work on it in the Family room, I won't make any points with the OL!

You da man, Brian!! Keep the pics coming.

I'm hoping the reddish egg listed on CL 2 hours away doesnt get bought before I get down there but if so, I'll keep looking for a BGE.

Mark, it sounds like a clay Kamado thats been overheated or weathered. It might be worth the drive to check it out.

These were both "Original Big Green Eggs!"

100_2322.jpg

First Post

I could not resist after seeing the Komados. We have a bit of a Komado club going here in Australia.

Attachments

• Komado2.jpg
    Komado2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 631
I could not resist after seeing the Komados. We have a bit of a Komado club going here in Australia.

Welcome to the Brethren! Introduce yourself over at the Cattle Call and give us a little insight on your cookers! Thats a nice setup you have there, it is unique to see the Kamados "hanging loose"! Is that a Wok on the left?

Back