Off my rocker?

NOHENS

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've tried something close to this before...but? The kids want tacos tonight. Easy right? Well i'm working tell 4pm so no time for a chuckie. I want the smoker used (beer) since it's nice out. I'm thinking a couple pounds of burger smoked like a fattie? Make 2 one pound rolled burger logs and smokem? I smoke fattie's 250 for about 2 hours....why not burger? I have done smoked burger...but anyone see anything wrong with mixing taco seasoning in the burger before making the beef fattie? Or....am I off my rocker and overthinking this? Fark it...I'm doing it and i'll let ya'll know what happens!:decision:

I could be wrong, but I believe that has been done and discussed, in the past. If memory serves correctly, it didn't work out too well. I think it was the lack of a binding agent. Basically, it didn't hold its shape, and ended up being a blob, instead of a fattie.

That being said, go for it! What's the worst that could happen? Oh, and post pictures, regardless if it works or not.

Good luck.

Matt

I see nothing wrong with mixing whatever seasoning you desire in with your cook.
However, I think a roll of ground beef is gonna cook a lot faster than a pork fatty will.
Keep an eye on it.

I could be wrong, but I believe that has been done and discussed, in the past. If memory serves correctly, it didn't work out too well. I think it was the lack of a binding agent. Basically, it didn't hold its shape, and ended up being a blob, instead of a fattie.

That being said, go for it! What's the worst that could happen? Oh, and post pictures, regardless if it works or not.

Good luck.

Matt

Smoked burgers did'nt fall apart? We'll see? And I'm clear it'll cook quicker than a pork fattie....thanks for the replies. Figured when it hits 150 or so I'd wrap in foil to rest a bit...then take it out and crumble? I'll let ya'll know!

Do it!
If you want binding try stale bread soaked in milk and add that to the raw burger (if you haven't tried that bePhore)...for me the burger stays juicier than when you add egg and breadcrumbs.

Gotcha Phub....thanks!! I will try to remember to report results!

Try frying burger in cast iron skillet over coals. Add a quality piece of pecan to coals so it's billowing smoke while frying. Close lid to allow burger to absorb a hint of smoke. Then take thicker yellow corn tortillas and flash fry till tender or spray with canola Pam and heat torts till soft over direct-or indirect-your choice. Use a good smoked Gouda, pico, onions, black olives-more guacamole-green or red chile salsa

Try frying burger in cast iron skillet over coals. Add a quality piece of pecan to coals so it's billowing smoke while frying. Close lid to allow burger to absorb a hint of smoke. Then take thicker yellow corn tortillas and flash fry till tender or spray with canola Pam and heat torts till soft over direct-or indirect-your choice. Use a good smoked Gouda, pico, onions, black olives-more guacamole-green or red chile salsa

I do this pretty regularly myself, with great results. Sometimes a chuck sometimes chicken, somoetimes pork. basically smoke in a pan for a bit then add your liquids, seasonings etc and smoke some more till done all the while at the same time reducing the liquid to concentrate the flavors. Comes out great. It helps to have a uds with a grilling option to get the heat closer to the pan or to use a weber kettle. Cast iron pan is best here.

My concern with just doing the beef by itself on the grate is you might end up with some dry azz tacos without using a liquid in the process. Jm2c

Update: I have no pics so it didn't happen. However I just mixed the seasoning into the burger....made 4-5 big burger balls....and threw them on and pulled at 145 it. Made some farkin awesome tacos!

Next time, try mixing chorizo in with lean beef. Good stuff.

Back