MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
KiltedKurmudgeon
Got Wood.

Default Slicer recommendations

I haven't been on this forum for a while...almost too busy to smoke.

I have a bit over thirty pounds of bacon in the fridge in five different recipes, awaiting a day calm enough to fire up the smoker. I'm going to slice and vacuum seal it in roughly one pound packs as I always do. This is a much larger batch than I have ever done, and frankly, I don't want to slice that much by hand. There is also ham, turkey breast, and a roast that will be used in the near future for sammiches and such.

So, now I'm looking for a slicer. I'm surprised I didn't buy a while ago. Any recommendations? I think a 100 watt is as low power as I want to go, and would like to stay in the neighborhood of 100-150 bucks or less. I know really good slicers are pricey, but I can make do with a cheaper unit as long as it isn't junk and will last a while.
KiltedKurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I had a Waring Pro FS150 that would handle very light duty. Apparently my slicing meat for jerky wasn't light duty enough because it kept stripping the plastic gear. The good news is the plastic gear was cheap to replace. I got rid of it. I'd recommend looking on CL for a good slicer at a discounted price, but it sounds like you need one right away.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've got a Waring Pro and really like it It's light weight and easy to clean. This is not a pro machine it's household use. Take it easy and it will last a long time. About $50 at Sam's.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
KiltedKurmudgeon
Got Wood.

I've looked a CL and a local classifieds site. The pickings are slim out here in the sticks. The nearest CL listings are usually 150 miles to the north, south, or west of us. Long drive for a slicer.

I looked at a Waring at Sam's. It seems solid enough frame-wise, but I've read a lot of complaints about the drive.

Has anyone used a machine from Kalorik? The one I found online has a 200W motor, and appears to be mostly metal...though it could be silver plastic. I have also found listings for YH, which appears to be made my the same company, but has a 150W motor, and a lower price tag. I'm also considering a Chefs Choice 609...it seems to be a decent machine, but isn't a lot cheaper than the Kalorik which has better reviews. It also looks to be mostly plastic, which is fine if it's designed well and doesn't flex too much.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check out www.sausagemaker.com. They have several decently priced slicers as well as other supplies and equipment for curing, sausage making, etc. I like them a lot.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

This what I use. Rival Model 1101.
I've had it for at least 30 years. Still works great for what I do.

Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a Chefs Choice 632 and i'm very happy with it.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Great topic. I too am looking for one as I'm tired of trying to get meats thin enough with a knife. Anyone got any experience with this one? -http://www.katom.com/163-P10.html?zm...FQqe4AodzScAqA

Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
swibirun
is one Smokin' Farker

I had the Waring pro model and it only lasted about a year or two before crapping out, it was difficult to clean, and seemed under-powered. I would stay away from that.

I have heard a lot of good things about various Chef's Choice models but what I really want is a Hobart slicer like grocery deli dept use. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget or room for those (even used prices are up there).
swibirun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuddy View Post
I use a Chefs Choice 632 and i'm very happy with it.
I have the 610 and also very happy with it for occasional use. Easy cleanup and in your price range.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Gnomatic
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Chef View Post
I have the 610 and also very happy with it for occasional use. Easy cleanup and in your price range.
610 here as well. Gets the job done for me.

Mostly I just use it for jerky meat slicing. I get a whole eye of round from Costco, trim it, cut it in half, and toss it in the freezer for a few hours. After that I proceed to throw each half on the slicer and cut them into slices longways.

Easy peasy.
Gnomatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
KiltedKurmudgeon
Got Wood.

Chad, I checked out that site. I didn't find a slicer, but my Christmas list just tripled in size!

I've read decent reviews of both the Chef's Choice models mentioned. You really have to throw out the reviews by dumbasses who expect a $100 consumer appliance to perform like the machine at the deli. The PS-10 J-Rod asked about would be awesome, but it's more than double my budget.

Choloway--THAT is what I've been hoping to stumble upon, but I'm not holding my breath. I used to have one a lot like that. I got it at a second-hand store for $10, but my ex-wife took it, along with a nice meat grinder, stainless pots and pans, and a Kitchenaid mixer with a ton of doodads totaling nearly $1K when we split up. It was still worth it, though.

I'll probably order one tomorrow after giving it a good think. Either CC 625 or 610, the Kalorik I was eyeballing, or this one that Wally World just got back in stock today: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magic-Chef...#ProductDetail. Unless I find something like that Rival tonight!

EDIT: There are dozens of Rival 1110's on eBay for good prices. I guess it's a five way race now.

Thanks for the input.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I just looked at the Magic Chef slicer at Walmart you are considering.
My biggest concern would be the "table".
With no extension and narrow width, I would be really hard to slice meats that have any "length" to them.

I have a Rival I bought at Walmart several years back. For a consumer unit, it works just fine.
And, for a home cook, I slice a whole lot of semi frozen meat for jerky, bacon, and sandwich meat.

I would look for a wider table for sure.

Happy Hunting.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
tatonka3a2
On the road to being a farker

One tip I can tell you regardless of slicer you have is that when slicing bacon - slice it VERY VERY cold or semi froze. I just got done slicing about 45 lbs of bacon and was struggling with the first couple slabs until I put them in the freezer to firm up a bit,

We have the Chef's Choice and bought a Berkel 10 inch for a steal of a price from a co-worker. I used the Berkel to slice up our bacon, as it cuts a lot cleaner.

Where to Shop -
[URL="http://www.OwensBBQ.com"]www.OwensBBQ.com[/URL]

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust[/URL]

Follow Owens BBQ on Facebook -
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust"]https://www.facebook.com/OwensBBQ[/URL]
tatonka3a2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

I too have a Chef Choice for at least 5-6 years and have been happy with it for the price. I am now finding that the about of jerky and bacon I have been making is taking its toll and am looking for a new one. This is what I am thinking about but have not had time to research it yet completely:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avan.../177SL310.html
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote