Question about health regs before selling sauce to public.

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The mad emotiocon is due to me trying to call our local health department and find out what are the regulations and requirements for putting a bbq sauce for sale to the public. Such as "Do we have to have it tested to see what the shelf life is" , "Does it have to made in a specific type kitchen" etc.

Well, SHOCKINGLY I can't get anyone on the effin' phone that knows anything bout it. I get transferred from one person to the next and finally to a person that wasn't at her desk and I got her voice mail. Left a message for her to call me back and haven't heard a word in three days. Any advice would help.

Thanks to the Brethren. :thumb:

In my area you would need a health dept inspected kitchen to make the sauce and bottle it, then meet the guidelines as far as nutrition labels and weight of the bottle. May be other items but those for sure.

I made it very easy for myself. I came up with the recipes and get some else to do the bottling or packaging. If you can find a reputable copacker, they will work their butts off to ensure the final product goes into the bottle is exactly how you make it.
They are licensed, registered and ready to go.

Takes a lot off your shoulders, trust me!

(sorry for all the bbq puns)

-Jay

Here is a place I have slightly dealt with here in Kansas City.

http://originaljuan.com/

You might recognize some of their products like the bottles with the brown wrap and pics of guys screaming on them. As jakealberts said above, this is the way to go. Just give them a recipe and they do the rest. Only issue you will have is there will be some sort of batch minimum. i.e. several cases I a sure.

Thanks guys. It's a shame when you can get more information from an internet message board than you can from your own local health department. Government at its finest.

Back