Corn cooker, Tamale steamer, Shrimp boil and all around tool for your arsenal!

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok well this deserves its own thread. Brothers and Sistas I have a new tool for your arsenal. Two years ago Brother Billy introduced me to the redneck corn cooker which is two galvanized trash cans on a turkey fryer burner. Dont wig out just yet on the galvanized steel..

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

Well since then I have upgraded to 40qt Aluminum pot steamer

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

This is how you load it... This 40 quart 40 ears...

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

Water in the bottom start up the burner which should not be full blast your just boiling the water in the bottom and it cooks for about 1 hour then grab one from the top and test. These do go up to 80qt in size but I fear the corn on the bottom will mush while the stuff on top might not be done. The 40qt we used at chambers ths weekend worked great. If your looking for one they have them on Amazon and a bunch of different brands and sizes. Just search Tamale steamer. Rule of thumb when I was searching a dollar a quart but there are cheaper ones. What I learned this weekend is that if you need more than 40 for a large crowd is to cooler it hot and they were screaming hot and you close the cooler they stay hot and you have the pot for another batch. So precooking a batch or two will get you ahead of the game and still be able to serve hot corn that all people have to do is peel and eat or add butter and salt as well but darn good just steamed

IMG_0178.jpg

Just thought I ought to give this info to All my Brothers and Sistas

Next step is to get a large tall container. Fill with 3/4 hot water than add melted butter. (the butter will stay on top of the water)
Dip the corn down into the container and as you pull the corn out you are pulling it thru the butter ... you have added butter with out any mess.

Last edited:
Next step is to get a large tall container. Fill with 3/4 hot water than add melted butter. (the butter will stay on top of the water)
Dip the corn down into the container and as you pull the corn out you are pulling it thru the butter ... you have added butter with out any mess.

Man oh man a great idea! And to think you just saved me from buying a popcorn butter machine...

I need to arrange that corn cooker dang it.Thanks!

Hey Ash, you got a link to purchase that bad boy? I just did a quick look on Amazon and 32 quart was the largest I could find. I live in the valley of the jolly HO HO HO green giant and steamed corn is where it's at.

Hey Ash, you got a link to purchase that bad boy? I just did a quick look on Amazon and 32 quart was the largest I could find. I live in the valley of the jolly HO HO HO green giant and steamed corn is where it's at.

Home Depot carries the 36 quart Bayou Classic, if that helps

Hey, it does corn GREAT, but I wanna know who the hell is gonna steam 80 qts of tamales? DAMN!:becky:

We have a Catholic Church here that has a tamale festival and there are tamales everywhere....

This church is in an area of STL that is predominantly Hispanic or Spanish speaking. We have a melting pot here of little concentrated communities

BC, that is one great idea! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Kevin that just rocks! Ought ohhhhhh! I now have a 60quart and a 120! I am good for about 500 tamales! Thanks for the pron.... You will be surprised at what else can be steamed in large quantities. More pron in a few weeks.... Oh Shane as one too! We will wait until he gets back from moving!

Can you tell me the recipe? Why 139 Tamales? I take it you like the aluminum steam pot setup.....:thumb:

Hey Ash,
The recipe needs some work. It was good, but there is room for improvement. When I get to where I'm satisfied, it will be posted. The reason for the quantity? I was just testing out how much that bad boy would hold. Rolled up 100 Saturday evening, went to fill the pot Sunday morning and it was only 2/3 full. Funny thing is, as I get tired of rolling up Tamales, they tend to get bigger :becky:

Yes, I do like this big steam pot set up a lot. Cooking outside means the kitchen does not get hot and It was very easy to control this large quantity of water at a gentle steam. I have boiled my smaller steamer dry and that is not a pleasant smell. This batch went for about 1 3/4 hours and when I went to do the clean up, 80 % of the water was still there. Was I impressed, you bet I was. Thanks for the suggestion.

We will be doing sweet corn next weekend, that really is what I wanted it for.

Back