MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Default Weber Kettle: Silver or gold?

1) Hinged grate
2) ash pan vs tray

Are there any functional differences? I see nothing to justify the higher cost.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
1) Hinged grate
2) ash pan vs tray

Are there any functional differences? I see nothing to justify the higher cost.
Well, you listed the functional differences. Owners of Golds swear by them, but to me the $60 difference is not worth it. Buy a hinged grate for $18 (or less) and do the steel pail or flower pot ash mod (for about $10 to $15) and IMO you're pretty much there. Folks say the air/temp control is better with the Gold's bottom vents, but I don't really have any issues with my two OTS in that area.
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

It depends on where your going to use it also, I like the ash pan and hinged grate. I use my Webers by the pool and don't want ANY of that ash on the deck or in the pool. Plus the hinged grate is great for adding more coals and wood chips. I have a 18.5 that i use also and have to drag in outside the pool cage when i do.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I recently got an 18.5 OTG to go with my Daisy wheel 22.5 - the mounted ash can is pretty nice. even when it's windy it keeps the ash in check.
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Bartstop
On the road to being a farker

The ash pan will also catch hot embers from falling out the bottom. Get one of those stuck in your shoe/sandle and the $60 will seem well worth it. Not to mention people walking barefoot or kids playing in the vicinity.
Bartstop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Agree and disagree.

My first charcoal grill was my OTS. I alsways said that was all I needed. I always said that the ash pan and hinged grates were overrated. Then last year, I bought a Performer off of CL and I LOVE the ashpan and hinged grates. Hell, I even went and bought a hinged grate from Home Depot for $18 for my OTS.

The hinged grates are a HUGE advantage on longer cooks on the kettle for adding coals without having to remove the entire cooking grate from the grill. The ashpan is great for keeping the wind from blowing ash all over the place. PLUS....the hot ember on the foot thing is SOOOOO true. It holds ash for several cooks, so you don't have to empty every time.

I don't see a difference in "ventability" between the OTS and OTG, though. The only difference is the handle, but the vents in the bottom of the kettle are the same.

Anyway.....I'd say it's worth it. If you buy a OTS and then buy a hinged grate and mod the ashpan, you're nearly there anyway, money-wise.

Have you checked CL? Rare, but I've seen plenty on there.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
MattB
Got Wood.

My Silver has been great. I got a hinged grate for something like $15. I've had no problems with the ashes, but I guess that depends on how windy things get in your area. I've gotten hot coals on the ground, but that was from me pouring them out of my chimney; something that an ash catcher could not have prevented.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Rylo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This being my first Weber I can only compare it to the other cheap charcoal grills that I've owned in the past and the added options of the Gold, at least to me, are great and well worth it. The easy cleaning ash can is really nice and adding wood chunks with the hinged grate is very handy especially when you forget to add the wood when you dump the coals in.
Since I got the 26.75" version there was not a choice between Silver or Gold, it only comes as the Gold.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylo View Post
This being my first Weber I can only compare it to the other cheap charcoal grills that I've owned in the past and the added options of the Gold, at least to me, are great and well worth it. The easy cleaning ash can is really nice and adding wood chunks with the hinged grate is very handy especially when you forget to add the wood when you dump the coals in.

+1

I was in the same boat right before fathers day. I ended up picking up a OTG and couldnt be happier. Ash can is such a sweet thing and makes for faster clean up. Hinged grates are a must have! Def worth the price in my book.

Also look in craigslist for some cheaper ones. I found one for $75 one time.

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I own a Silver and have no issues with it, other than the poor fitting legs (brisket sploogie mod). My brother has a OTG and I do not like the ash pan, it is the first think I remove when using his kettle. I did buy the hinged grates so no difference there.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Timmy
Full Fledged Farker

I have both. I prefer the otg and will upgrade when I can score them from CL. Go for the GOLD. You will not be sorry.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
NebraskaBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I'd vote for the Gold. The hinged great is easily the best feature, if you do any smoking on your kettle. The ash catcher is worth it to me as well because I store my grill in my garage when not in use and i've never had any ash get anywhere outside of the pan. Of course, I got my OTG for free, so if I was paying for it maybe I would convince myself that the features weren't worth it. One thing I know, if it's a weber kettle, you won't be disappointed either way.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Can you purchase the ash catcher and adapt it on the silver model? I'm on Weber's website and see that they do not sell the ash catcher.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
JazzCat
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

OTG is worth the extra cash.
I have 3 Silvers and one Gold.
Use the Gold most often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke
"Can you purchase the ash catcher and adapt it on the silver model? I'm on Weber's website and see that they do not sell the ash catcher."

Yes you can, call Weber at 1-800-446-1071 and order directly from them.
JazzCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
chobint
On the road to being a farker

another vote for OTG. Ash catcher is well worth it. I had 3 or 4 large embers fall into the pan when I did an ash sweep on my last long cook. If you score from CL, the price diff should be negligible compared to a used OTS.
chobint is offline   Reply With Quote