DQs on the Dutch Oven Pork method?

HandsomeSwede

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hope the 2010 season is going well for folks in warmer climates, cook from the Northeast here is still waiting to kick off the year.

Just wondering how everyone is coping with the new pork reheating rule. The work around I am hearing buzz about, and the one I have been practicing, is to place pulled/chunked pork into a Dutch Oven which contains sauce and has been heated on the cooker. The DO is off the heat source at this time of course.

Anyone seen this in function yet this year?

re-heating is illegal. period. why try to skirt around it?

I agree. Why try to push the envelope and risk cheating?

It is only illegal to "return seperated meat to a cooker" per the 2010 rules and regs.

The work around I am hearing buzz about, and the one I have been practicing, is to place pulled/chunked pork into a Dutch Oven which contains sauce and has been heated on the cooker.

Pulled/chunked pork is not serparated meat?

Perhaps I phrased this thread incorrectly. I am less interested in a discussion with those who think the Dutchie method is illegal and more concerned with feedback from those by whom it is employed. Thank you.

No matter how quick your hands one must admit it takes at least a little time to break down, pick through, sauce and arrange enough pork for six judges from 2-4 butts. Certainly some heat is lost here?

I would be inclined to believe that putting the pork in a dutch oven would be legal as long as the dutch oven has previously been heated and is NOT on a heat source when the pork is put in it. If this is illegal, then putting your pork in a cambro or a cooler to keep it warm after it has been seperated should constitute a DQ as well. I would really like to have Merl or somebody from the KCBS BOD chime in on this one.

I read the rules as such:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall
be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the
meat once separated be returned to a cooker

If you can make your chunks 5 pounds or your pulled 5 pounds pieces you might have a reason to argue, till then why push the envelope.

I am less interested in a discussion with those who think the Dutchie method is illegal and more concerned with feedback from those by whom it is employed.
*holds breath waiting for flood of cooks admitting in print that they stew pork chunks in sauce*

crylaugh.gif

The BOD discussed this and it's legal so long as the container with the heated sauce is not still in the cooker or on a gas burner. Remember a lot of teams heat a pan of sauce (gas or microwave) til almost boiling then put pulled in in. And you could do the same with slices so long as you can get them out OK. My concern would be too much sauce that would lead to pooling in the bottom of the box. Be bery careful with that.

SO many smarmy comments from BBQ item vendors who I will never buy from again, what a shame, just trying to support Brethren.

I'm assuming all you folks who are pishawing the Dutchie method don't utilize a Cambro in any way.

I'm assuming all you folks who are pishawing the Dutchie method don't utilize a Cambro in any way.

These two can't even be compared. A Cambro will not burn your hand if you touch it. It is not a source of heat. A preheated dutch oven will. You simply cannot compare a preheated piece of cast iron to an insulated plastic box. This has nothing to do with legality. The comparison is simply not valid.

Wait...you soak your pork in SAUCE?

That there is a crime in at least half a dozen southern states I'm sure, not to mention :boxing:

oh never mind....
I just noticed you were in the north east :rolleyes:

Yeah, tried the simple vinegar style first time out and got my arse handed to me. Sticky and sweet up our way apparently.

Has anyone considered that at the judging tables the following occurs:
1. The TC opens the box and shows it around (this could be as much as 15 minutes after turnin.
2. The box is then passed from judge to judge and each take their sample and place it on their placemat
3. This is repeated for all six entries
4. The Judge now samples the first enty and scores it; and then the second; etc.
5. The time the meat is sitting on a piece of paper could be as much as five (5) minutes.
6. It can be pipping hot when you place it in your box but, by the time the judge actually judges it for taste and texture, it will be darn close to stone cold.
7. You maybe should be more concerned with the taste of your product when it is cold than with ways to circumvent the rules.

Back