MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
RDOwens
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Drying Oak

Back in August a buddy of mine cut down an oak tree. He and I cut up some of it and I stacked it out back.

If I understand, it takes about six months to dry out to be used. It's not covered. Is there anything special I should do with this to dry it?

I appreciate your thoughts.
RDOwens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
baldbill
Full Fledged Farker

Default directions..

I would reccommend that you have it tested first, the whole lot could be contaminated. I would be willing to help a fellow bretheren out by volunteering to test it for you, I will dry it out in my smoker and test the ash and send you the results.
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
baldbill
Full Fledged Farker

put it where it won't get wet or cover it to protect it from the elements, mostly rain. Just find a dry place and stack it and in a few months its ready to go, again, I will test it for free!!
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

If it was mine I would let it season for a minimum of a year. Because the density of oak will not allow the water to escape as fast as alot of other hardwoods. After two years of seasoning oak is at its prime, in my opinion. Keep the wood stacked off the ground, on pallets or whatever, and covered.

If your going to have baldbill test it make him come and get it.
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
RDOwens
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks, guys. I should look to get this stack off the ground I suppose.

I appreciate the assistance.
RDOwens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Are you going to be using the oak as flavor wood or the main fuel? If a stickburner or offset, I would say everyone above is correct. However, if I was just going to be using it for flavor chunks, I would go ahead and cut them to size. That way it will dry a little faster.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Are the logs split in half???
Splitting logs in half will halve the drying time.
I always stack the split wood bark side up to help keep the rain off it, always tried to tarp the top row if possible.

Remember the smaller the pieces, shorter drying time, look for small cracks in the ends of the logs which means its drying down and probably ready to use.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
BobF
Take a breath!

Off the ground, and if possible under a shed. If its covered with a tarp, find a way to make a tent of it so you get airflow under the tarp.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

RD- when I get some special wood and I'm in a hurry to use it I will cut it into small pieces and put it safely in the furnace room. I use long strips to space it and its amazing how fast it dries out.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
RD- when I get some special wood and I'm in a hurry to use it I will cut it into small pieces and put it safely in the furnace room. I use long strips to space it and its amazing how fast it dries out.
I have some apple and pecan chunks and short sticks beside my gas hot water heater. The little closet it's in off the back porch stays very, very dry.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Are the logs split in half???
Splitting logs in half will halve the drying time.
I always stack the split wood bark side up to help keep the rain off it, always tried to tarp the top row if possible.

Remember the smaller the pieces, shorter drying time, look for small cracks in the ends of the logs which means its drying down and probably ready to use.
Now thats worth the price of admission! Thanks Bull

Old 11-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #12
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default Rdo..........;}-

BBQBULL is right, split cures quicker. Take a piece and start it by itself and see if and liquid boils out of it,if so it's too soon, if it burns with no liquid, uas it. Hickory is the one to watch,even split it takes a long time...

Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #13
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Fire Grill View Post
If it was mine I would let it season for a minimum of a year. Because the density of oak will not allow the water to escape as fast as alot of other hardwoods. After two years of seasoning oak is at its prime, in my opinion. Keep the wood stacked off the ground, on pallets or whatever, and covered.
I agree 100% with a minimum of 1 year and better for 2 years for oak.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Moisture exits a log through the ends- so fast, in fact, that they seal the ends of timber so it won't split during drying. If it's flavoring wood, cut it into rounds, and it will dry pretty fast. A friend of mine builds guitars, and uses a dehumidifier in a large closet to dry the wood. Most of the moisture is gone in a month in his rig.

Tags
dry, oak, wood