• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NB Hondo/Black Diamond & OK Joes Smokers

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Looking into a couple CL possibilities. Is the Hondo and BD the same type of cooker? What is metal thickness? And would you guys recommend either one? I'm familiar with the mods it's gonna need. Is is better it better quality and thickness that the Brinkmann S&P I once owned? The owner claims it's new and never been used. Wants 125, but maybe can get it for 100.

Secondly, A guy has an OK Joe Smoker. I know how heavy and thick that bad boy is cause my buddy stole one for around 400, almost new. What are the pros and cons with that model? This guy wants 425, and I offered 225. I douby he'll bite since they run close to 600-700 new and his is in decent shape, but you never know.

Any and all comments, opinions, and farking statements welcome. :lol:

I just want to get a little stick burner again.

Having had a NB Silver Smoker for many moons and several campfires, the Hondo and NBBD were also brothers from back in the day. Hondo and NBBD may have been a tad bigger and if memory serves, the Hondo had a flat top on the firebox to heat water etc.
As long as they are the thicker ones (pre charbroil), you can't go wrong with any of the three.
Good luck and enjoy.

He says it's only a couple years old, so I'm thinking CharBroil made and probably not as thick. Thanks!

About your CL finds...........;}-

Hey BB, Saws and had to respond. I have a NewBraubsfeld 'Red River' ,not exactly like what you found, but close. Got mine 15 years ago and it's still in Class "A" shape. Metal is 3/16" and sturdy as everything. The NB Hondo and the OK Joe Smokers are of like material and will last you a long time (unlike the SP you had).LOL
The price seems good, and you'd likely not get a better price on either of them.My opinion is to do what you can to get one,can't go wrong. and for a small sticker, HEY -perfect:!:
Here's a shot of my "Little Girl" :

newshots027.jpg
newshots026.jpg
newshots025.jpg

notice I have Modded to reverse flow and she pleases the heck out of me.

And between her and her 'BIG' Sister , I can do about anything I want...:icon_cool

bbqpartyandextras014.jpg

Hope this helps make your mind up,
good luck and SMOKE HAPPY:mrgreen:
Stan aka bbqfans

Thanks again.

Steph..........if only, Brother!! Thanks though.

Stan--I wish I could find one of those "Big Sisters" for sale on CL.:lol: I'm hoping the guy with the OK Joe will respond. Thanks again for the info. THis helps me figure out what it is they are selling.

The age of that OKJ could also effect the thickness. My first one was 1/4, my second one was 3/16.

Looking into a couple CL possibilities. Is the Hondo and BD the same type of cooker? What is metal thickness? And would you guys recommend either one? I'm familiar with the mods it's gonna need. Is is better it better quality and thickness that the Brinkmann S&P I once owned? The owner claims it's new and never been used. Wants 125, but maybe can get it for 100.

Secondly, A guy has an OK Joe Smoker. I know how heavy and thick that bad boy is cause my buddy stole one for around 400, almost new. What are the pros and cons with that model? This guy wants 425, and I offered 225. I douby he'll bite since they run close to 600-700 new and his is in decent shape, but you never know.

Any and all comments, opinions, and farking statements welcome. :lol:

I just want to get a little stick burner again.

If you are only doing ribs, or chicken. If you want to do something larger and have to tend the fire twice as long, then I'd pass.

Which model OK Joe are you looking at?

I've always liked the New Braunfels smokers because i'm a fan of the Texas Hill Country but i'm not sure how their quality changed when they were bought by charbroil.

if the OK Joe is an oldie (100% welded - no bolt together parts like the legs, box or stack) then his asking price is a bargain.

A lot of places dropped the OK Joe line when they changed the build to include some bolt on parts to make shipping to dealers easier (cheaper).

Hey there brother Smoke, wish you wasn't so far away from me, I wouldn't mind having your Offset, Been wanting to get one for the weekend Ques here, I can't afford much, but look at CL everyday, ya never know. Tough to live on the Gov't Blanket.. TC......Bush

Hey there brother Smoke, wish you wasn't so far away from me, I wouldn't mind having your Offset, Been wanting to get one for the weekend Ques here, I can't afford much, but look at CL everyday, ya never know. Tough to live on the Gov't Blanket.. TC......Bush

Yeah shipping would be a Biatch

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/for/1311762144.html

Here's the OK Joe I'm looking at. Jorge, actually, I'm looking for something that will let me tend fire, burn sticks, and possibly even drink MORE beer. :lol:

I doubt he'll respond to my offer, though.

He's being pretty fair. 300 or 350 wouldn't be out of line if you have it in the budget. That cooker came from Academy, and I've seen them. With care it would hold up.

Edit: It is El Paso, and I suspect that you are expected to negotiate.:cool::mrgreen:

His price is very fair as is. Just one problem, I can't do the 450. He did say OBO, so I'm curious to see what he's been offered, if anything and what his bottom line price might be. We'll see what he says.

I've always liked the New Braunfels smokers because i'm a fan of the Texas Hill Country but i'm not sure how their quality changed when they were bought by charbroil.

quality went to hell in a handbasket. cheaper made, thinner metal, crappy paint. I have the NB Black diamond. bought the charbroil version a few years later, seasoned it properly, cooked and, afterwards, promptly returned it to wallyworld...

never again, my brothers. Never again.

He wants no less than 400 for the OK Joe. I can't do that much right now. Something else will pop up eventually.

Back