UDS Brisket Trim

DDave

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am going to do my first brisket on the UDS (only the second brisket overall) on Thursday night/Friday and was wondering -- do you generally trim the fat cap down a little or just leave it as is to provide protection from the heat?

I planned on smoking it fat cap down, no flip, no mop/spritz, to 165° then foil til 195° - 200°. Any special "drum tips" that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Dave

Let me know how it turns out!

In fact... send samples.. and some beer.. yea beer and.. well that should do..:mrgreen:

Alright, I know this is an opinion question, but is it fat side up or down? I too am going to do my second brisket and can't remember the first it's been so long. Also, How do you trim the leftover fat off after it cooked and size it up (to look natural) for comps?

I have done fat on top to keep moist and flavorful as it slowly bastes the slab. On my chargriller.
Have not done one yet on my uds. Thoughts would be down would enable massive flavorization of the slab from fat dripping on coals.
Just my thoughts

I'm up to a couple of dozen or so on my UDS now and have always done them fat down for most of the cook but I do flip for about two hours after about four hours on. Don't know why I flip, just do and it seems to work. And I personally don't foil until I hit temp, then I foil and cooler for at least two hours, three is better... Just my way, not saying it's right or wrong or better.

I did my first on the UDS last Sunday... yeh I know, no pictures didn't happen...but if it had happened I'd have done it fat cap down and only a minimal trim, no flip, and I would have cooked it over Rancher charcoal and Oak chunks, I also cooked it hotter than on the WSM's it ran at 300 in the groove, till it was time to shut things down, took it off at 160 foiled it and finished it in the oven...yeh I said oven!

This was a small full packer 9 1/2 lbs, I was expecting a lot of shrinkage with the highr heat, but it didn't shrink more than an inch or inch and a half in length.

It would have been rubbed with my version of Mike Mills Holy Cow, and with the Oak smoke it would have been the best tasting brisket I'd ever cooked, if only I'd cooked on Sunday! :biggrin:

Well if only woulda happend, right ezzy? haha.

So whether you do it fat up or down or both, how do you get the fatless, clean look after it's sliced and ready to eat or turn in?

Well if only woulda happend, right ezzy? haha.

So whether you do it fat up or down or both, how do you get the fatless, clean look after it's sliced and ready to eat or turn in?

As this was for home eating it wasn't trimmed more than a touch, if I' been cooking for judges in competition, I'd have trimmed to 1/8" and put the fat cap down then put the meat on top if I was using the fat cap as protection against the heat.

If I was cooking fat cap up I'd put the meat on and cap it with the fat to self baste.

YMMV.

I haven't done a brisket yet on my UDS, let us know how it turns out and how long it takes.

Hey Patio, where is the fat on the pics of the sliced meat? I know it doesn't all melt away. I'm just trying to find a good guide or something to help prepare meat for competition look

Cut off hard fat. Trim fat cap to 1/4" or less. Rub. Smoke fat cap down. Foil during the cook only if you are behind on time. Trim the rest of the fat right before you slice. Remember that some people like the fat...

Hey Patio, where is the fat on the pics of the sliced meat? I know it doesn't all melt away. I'm just trying to find a good guide or something to help prepare meat for competition look
Click one of the images and it will all be revealed. :wink:

Big Mista nailed it.

John

Fat cap down works best for me in the brisket trials I have done. Keeps the flat from drying out when doing a whole packer.

For me it depends on the cooker... On my Lang, it's fat cap (trimed to 1/4 inch) up all the time no flipping of none of that....

On my UDS, I like to cook it so that the fat cap (again trimmed to 1/4 inch) is between the meat and coals (a.k.a. fat cap down)... Why you may ask... Cause Bubba said so and to tell the truth, it's worked just fine.

Foil during the cook only if you are behind on time.

I'll have all the time in the world on this one. Taking a vacation day Friday to do some smoking. So your saying skip the foil in the UDS?

I like that idea.

Dave

I'll have all the time in the world on this one. Taking a vacation day Friday to do some smoking. So your saying skip the foil in the UDS?

I like that idea.

Dave
Unless I really need to push the cook, I never foil and put it back on the cooker... The only time it gets foiled is when I'm about to put it into a cooler.

Back