MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Default Qualifications to Make BBQ Sauce

I was at an open market today and there was a booth where a gentlemen was selling BBQ sauce of his creation. Being the fanatic I am I stopped over and asked about what kind of meat he smoked. What inspired him to make the sauce. etc.

He doesn't smoke meat. He grills it. He found that by combining two different commercial sauces and a little extra chili powder he had something he could bottle and sell. So I tried some. I'll give anyone a chance, though in my book he had two strikes against him. Litterally was KC Masterpiece with Chili powder.

We talked a little longer and he was thinking of making a smoker, but hadn't done it yet. I have to say I was disappointed. When I came back out of the world's most expensive grocery store he was there with a line waiting to buy it. I was a little disappointed by the commercialization of something. So it made me think, what qualifications do you need to make sauce?

Does it matter that you only grill? Is the purist approach wrong? I use commercial, but I enjoy playing with sauces and making my own. I admit I've used commercial sauces for a base to shorten the time. But I would never pass it off as my own. I always give my base rub recipes away for free because I just found them online and modified them. I don't give them the modifications perse, but never pass something off as my own if I didn't do it by myself.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Not sure how much different this is that someone using Heinz, Hunt's or other commericial brand ketchup as the main ingredient and building from there.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Not sure how much different this is that someone using Heinz, Hunt's or other commericial brand ketchup as the main ingredient and building from there.

Gotta agree with that.

Why re-invent the wheel to get your base of tomato.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

There are some places that will re-sell their sauces/rubs to you and allow you to re-label them as your own and sell it...

I think in the retail world the purist thought does not too well outside of KC/Memphis/Texas as the rest of the country thinks good bbq is Babyback ribs from Chili's or Applebees. Of course it is our duty to change that thought process!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
There are some places that will re-sell their sauces/rubs to you and allow you to re-label them as your own and sell it...

I think in the retail world the purist thought does not too well outside of KC/Memphis/Texas as the rest of the country thinks good bbq is Babyback ribs from Chili's or Applebees. Of course it is our duty to change that thought process!!
I didn't know that. I've tried I don't know how many sauces as I've worked to find one that compliments the rubs I predominantly use. A lot of times I come back to a generic bourbon sauce recipe that I tweak to counter some of the stronger flavors. People around here devour it with my pork and chicken but since it's a public recipe I can't bring myself to resell it. Maybe just too old fashion.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

A lot of commerical food are made by the same company just a differnt label on it. I work as a maintence for Flowers Bakery for 22 years we ran all kind of different labels the product was same but different labels. Heck if you bought a big order they would have put Chinesebob on a honeybun.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I don't think the purist approach is wrong - and neither is starting with a known base.

If you have a sauce you really like, but you think you'd like it even better if it just had that extra kick of . . . whatever . . . and adding it turns out a great sauce, then why not?

This situation is similar to the sampling controversies in music - where modern musicians use samples of older tunes to create new work.

It's all creative -
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
tkuehn5410
Full Fledged Farker

I have tried the ribs at several chains in the last couple months and I cringe after the first bite when they taste boiled/baked and thrown on a grill to finish and then they throw on some really thick/sweet bbq sauce to ruin the ribs.