ABT Question

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I brought some ABT's to work and of course they were a HUGE hit. Had one of the guys come up to me wanting to buy 100 ABT's for the College Bowl Games :eek:
Just wondering how much you would charge for these, kinda labor intensive so I want to make it worth my time, but on the same note I dont want to overcharge either. Any thoughts or advice?

What are your costs? Serious question since I've visited places where I've seen insane prices on jalapenos before. Next question is whether or not you have space to cook them all, in one session? If not, price goes up.

With a chili twister, and pastry bag prep should go fairly quickly. If you are going to deliver them frozen/packaged in foodsaver bags then the price goes up again to cover additional time and materials.

I think of it this way

Bars around my parts sell fried popper for usually around .50 each. No these are just that poppers ABTs are much better. I go no lower than .75 with the labor and materials. Of course if that doesn't cover go higher. It's time out of your life. IMHO

Someone posted at one time they were charging about 2.00 each. They ran a resturant though. I wouldn't do them for less than a dollar. To much labor invoved. I have sold them before for that price.

I can't help on pricing, but I do have a hint for you.

I found peppers earlier this week at an "international" market that were almost a dollar cheaper a pound than at the local grocery stores, and just as good. That will help cut down on costs. :wink:

Same here in STL (Global Foods). Also, try using Poblanos insted and different fillings. Crammed ceam cheese is boring. Sausage and/or chedder be much gooder.

I would have to say a buck apiece. By the time you go and purchase everything, prepare them and actually finish smoking them you are in for at least a few hours of time. Plus the cost of the ingridients and fuel. Let us know how you make out:wink:

I would go 1.50ea. These things take forever to make, and they're worth it.

I would have to agree with txschute, 100 ABTs will feed a lot of people. I can't see doing this for any less than $1.50 a piece. Are you stuffing them with any meat or just cheese?

I would have to agree with txschute, 100 ABTs will feed a lot of people. I can't see doing this for any less than $1.50 a piece. Are you stuffing them with any meat or just cheese?

Cream Cheese stuffed and crowned with a piece of sausage.

If they're for some guy's for a game, they'll go $1.50 apiece easy, although that's ALOT of ABT"s :eek:
Shopping and prep will go 3-4 hr's easy............not including smoke time, is it worth $150.00?? If it get's ya some work out of it, maybe!!:wink:

If they're for some guy's for a game, they'll go $1.50 apiece easy, although that's ALOT of ABT"s :eek:
Shopping and prep will go 3-4 hr's easy............not including smoke time, is it worth $150.00?? If it get's ya some work out of it, maybe!!:wink:
Absolutely, 1.50 is definetely low end. Maybe go 1.75, and sneak in apiece of pork butt so they don't feel cheated. This will also get them hooked on the smoked meats. (Pusher mod)

I must be too demanding, right away I was thinking it wasn't cost effective unless it was $2 each.
Cost of fuel,peppers,cheese and inards has got to be close to $1 each if all is added together-if not more.

$2.00/each, at least

especially if there's pulled pork in there.

bbq joe had a thread where he had a plate of em for sale.

We sell them at Harpoon every year - three for $5 or $2 each I think... and they go FAST. Sometimes it takes a little salesmanship to get them to buy the first one, but they inevitably come back for more. And, any time we have given one away, that person comes back with money and hungry friends. We always sell out, and we have people that come looking for us every year, they buy us out... "I'll give you $40 for the rest of them..." We love those guys!

We halve them and stuff the vending ones with cream cheese, cheddar and chinese sausages or pulled pork.

When we are eating them ourselves it's kind of anything goes...we have done them with big a** shrimp in each pepper, and we have also done habenero turds wrapped with proscuitto. Another time we made dessert turds with crushed pineapple in with the cream cheese. YUMMY!

We also have team bashes at our house and do up a boatload of them each time, vacuum seal 'em a dozen in a batch so we can keep track of what we're doing, and freeze until July. That way we don't really count in the labor part since we are all hanging out and having fun while we do them.

Just don't fill them up too too much though, cuz if you freeze them they can get a little messy once you are cooking them and leak out all over your cooker...yucky mod.

I just did 200 ABT's in my Backwoods Party, just filled it up and ran with it, dry, at about 300.

Back