Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Atlanta BBQ Festival Sept 13 - 14

PekingPorker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This will be our first contest, and we're in the pro division (despite registering as backyard)

Any fellow Brethren going to be there? Would love to put some faces with names.

www.atlbbqfest.com

<crickets>

not a good sign.

I know a lot of local folks will be in Winder that weekend. I must have picked the wrong comp.

Yeah lots are in Winder. Though I heard Atlanta is filled up too. My office is on the other side of 85 from Atlantic Station. I can see the lot where they setup out of the window :p.

The Atlantic Station event is a good festival for the general public who wants to come out and eat. As a KCBS competition for pro cooks..... not so much.

On the plus side, as you can see by your surprise upgrade, not many experienced pro teams will be there. This means you should have a decent shot at getting a call even though it's your first time out. Good luck!

The Winder festival does not have a BY division or we would be competing there as a BY team. We chose not to do the Atlanta one, in BY, based on other teams past experiences, and the super small spaces in comparison to the overly large entry fees.

Best of luck to you though, and you should have a decent shot since most of the typical locals are going to be in Winder that weekend :).

I'm thinking the wife and I may be meeting some friends at the Atlanta Festival so if we do I'll hit you up. Do you have a team banner? Any idea of where you will be setup?

I will be there in the backyard division. I was there last year and the setup for backyard is kind of tight....but not near as cramped as Athens a couple of weeks ago. That is also the contest where a the neighbors party went way too far into the night and they spilled beer on me at 1:30 in the morning while I was trying to get some sleep in my chair( that was not a pretty scene). Acording to the teams on the web site they will not be back this year.

BTW...This is also the only comp I have ever been to where a fire marshal walked around and checked to make sure you had a fire extinguisher.

Hogz Gone Wild will be there in the Pro division as well. I've heard it's not a great competition.....but with all of the good teams going to the Sams regional, Decatur, AL, and Winder.....I chose Atlanta.

I'm not to proud to say I'm chasing an easier grand. These GBC events are getting harder and harder to compete against!

JT

I don't compete as a pro so this does not affect me but I don't think that the Atlanta BBQ festival is part of the GBC. That may be one reason that many of the pros are going to Winder.

Yeah, maybe I wasn't clear in my post.

I think the teams that compete in the GBC events week in and week out are some of the best in the country, so I'm glad I could find an event close to home that wouldn't have the majority of those teams for a change!

Well, glad to see a few Brethren will be there. We do have a team banner, it's the same as my name logo here. I look forward to meeting y'all!

BTW...This is also the only comp I have ever been to where a fire marshal walked around and checked to make sure you had a fire extinguisher.

Did you need an inspection tag on your fire extinguisher? I know the rules they sent out said it needed a valid tag. I have 2 extinguishers that say they are charged but no tag.

Is this the event that Myron won last year and they told him he had to leave a $2500.00 deposit if he wanted to take the GC trophy home?

Is this the event that Myron won last year and they told him he had to leave a $2500.00 deposit if he wanted to take the GC trophy home?

I heard they let his team in for free. Then they of course won. They were filming pitmasters there so Myron wasn't cooking. It was his son and the normal crew you see that goes with them. It wasn't the worst event I've been too, but just nothing to write home about. Some teams had water trouble and they charge even for minimal electric.

At least they provided a 20amp hookup for free this year. I'm hoping they have learned from the past mistakes, but I've heard some horror stories about this event recently. Thankfully, talking to fnbish made me feel better overall about the event.

Myron's son is competing again this year. So are a couple other teams I have seen on Pitmasters. Most of the teams on the roster I haven't really seen at many GA events this year.

As this is my first event, I'm just hoping to meet some good folks and have fun. Hopefully the logistics from the organizers won't ruin anything.

Be sure to stop by. I will have my team logo banner as well as a bbq-brethren banner. I do hope they publish the layout soon.

I see and talk to Bob at the Atl BBQ Club "meatings". Most issues from the past should be better this time. My only problems were with the teams beside me and not the way the event was run. Then again this event last year was only my 2nd comp and I had no idea what I was doing.

I heard they let his team in for free. Then they of course won. They were filming pitmasters there so Myron wasn't cooking. It was his son and the normal crew you see that goes with them. It wasn't the worst event I've been too, but just nothing to write home about. Some teams had water trouble and they charge even for minimal electric.

This was one of the past problems with this event - the entry cost was variable based on whatever bargain each team was able to strike with Bob Herndon. Obviously this sort of Let's Make A Deal arrangement isn't what pro cooks have come to expect from a KCBS sanctioned contest. Also notice that most teams who have been there in the Pro Division don't return the next year and that the event is no longer a part of the GBC series.

Unfortunately because of all the issues I can't recommend this event at this time. It would be great if this one were turned around because it is ridiculous for Atlanta not to have a really good KCBS event.

I enjoyed the event last year. The Atlanta crowds were great to watch and talk to. If it wasn't for Winder being on the same date I would be there also.

Back