Meat Candy By Mistake - Rib Tips

stevek813

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I bought a vacuum pack of Pork Spare Ribs and I decided that I would attempt to trim them into St. Louis Ribs because I had never done this before. I have to say I did a fairly nice job the first time out.

However; once I realized I was going to end up wasting about as much meat as I was going to smoke I decided that I was going to roll the dice and see what I could do with them. I figured that I was either going to throw the skirt portion away before I smoked them or after I pulled them off the smoker.

Almost as a good, I threw them in a pan and tossed some brown sugar intensive rub on them and put them in the lower rack of my smoker. I didn't do another thing with them while I was paying close attention to the Ribs.

They were on the smoker for about 5 hours and when pulled the pan off they looked pretty good and had a nice color to them.

I tossed them on the cutting board and gave them a couple of whacks to cut them into tips while the ribs were resting.

Now I have always enjoyed rib tips because they are popular here in Chicagoland but when I tasted these, I nearly threw the ribs off to the side. The rib tips were so sweet that they tasted like meat candy. I dipped them into sauce and was in heaven.

These tasty treats will most definitely be a staple whenever I do St. Louis Ribs. I can only hope that they are as good as the first time each time I make them.

Looks great. I always trim St. Louis style and then basically treat all the tips and trimmings like burnt ends. Throw the tips on the smoker with the ribs and once they are done I cube everything up and toss them around in a pan with a little sauce and a little extra rub and throw them back onto the smoker. And like you said, they come out like little pieces of pork candy. Doesn't get much better than that.

They looks tasty! Thanks for posting!

Folks who are doing several racks of ribs smoke their tips and then freeze them for a soup or stew recipe.
Me.........Heck I just cook them and feed the cook and his crew as snacks!

Looks good & thanks for the tip on the sugar. I'll give it a try on out next go round with trimmings.

brown sugar intensive rub ???? could we please have the recipe :pray:

brown sugar intensive rub ???? could we please have the recipe :pray:

This recipe was posted on CNN's website in an article about Myron Mixon. I believe it is also in both of his books:

1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp mustard powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp course black pepper

I cut the cayenne down to 1 tsp because I am not a fan of over-the-top heat and the rub was still plenty hot with this reduction.

This is a fairly dull looking rub because of all the brown sugar so don't expect a lot of color. The next time I make it, I am probably going to add a little paprika to it for some color. I would guess a tablespoon or two would do it and wouldn't alter the flavor too much.

Enjoy!!!

Looks great! I do the exact same thing when I start smoking ribs. Usually you can snack on the tips while you wait for the ribs to finish!

Back