MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #91
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandQ View Post
When I was younger, I had more time than money and would have probably built an UDS had I been into BBQ at that time, I currently have more money than time and bought a PBC. I am sure at some point in my life, the dynamic will reverse and I look forward to the day when I have nothing better to do than spend a few days building a new BBQ from scratch to save a few bucks....
If you wanted a smoker than you could have bought a WSM....you bought a good cooker, just not a smoker.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #92
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Donnie stay on point. You condemned the man for taking money and being a whore for the PBC and then come back and post a "I am in Love the PBC" video.......I have no issue with the PBC, however you chastise it and then praise it in video..............So who is getting paid........Mmmmmmmm. And then you gut and castrated a very good Brother with some REALLY good posts that got to THE POINT,.............Oh well
This person you speak of. Im Not sure who... Cuz there have been no names mentioned... But if he left because of me.... And STILL hasn't come back ...when I was gone.... Then he is a puss. By that I mean anyone who would leave over that is a real puss. ESPECIALLY for the reason you gave. Maybe you should revive that thread so we can see if I am thinking of the same person. But really... If you have to check out cuz someone calls you a whore... Then becomes a whore as you say... The guy has no sense of....... Hold it.... NOW I DO know who ure talking about. So.... No comment.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #93
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
This person you speak of. Im Not sure who... Cuz there have been no names mentioned... But if he left because of me.... And STILL hasn't come back ...when I was gone.... Then he is a puss. By that I mean anyone who would leave over that is a real puss. ESPECIALLY for the reason you gave. Maybe you should revive that thread so we can see if I am thinking of the same person. But really... If you have to check out cuz someone calls you a whore... Then becomes a whore as you say... The guy has no sense of....... Hold it.... NOW I DO know who ure talking about. So.... No comment.
Soooo you can edit and redoe the ENTIRE UDS thread with pictures and can't find this...............Really........ This man had contribution..............Nevermind and learn what funky is...........You ain't it dude.................
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #94
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Soooo you can edit and redoe the ENTIRE UDS thread with pictures and can't find this...............Really........ This man had contribution..............Nevermind and learn what funky is...........You ain't it dude.................
Miles Davis? Help me out dude.. Or dood. As the case may be.

Edict.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #95
Sillius Sodus
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
...So next time you go to buy something ask the guy to give a product at cost.
A bit OT, but that sounds like every a**hole that tries to by a car these days...

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #96
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Who..............Gimme some work here brother what have YOU DONE to be Funky.............Heh.......Get on Dat Good Foot.........and Miles ain't chit compared to the Godfather.......You know dat...........
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #97
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Common brothers. Not everyone is going to agree on every topic or cooker/smoker.

The Pbc is meat cooking vessel like a wsm, kettle, pellet pooper and Stickburner. I have and love cooking on the Pbc but do not expect others to have same opinion.

I hope everyone here that is chiming in this thread is wearing big boy pants and do not take everything that has been said to heart.

Let's stick to the original topic and move on. I would not want people leaving this forum due to hurt feelings.

I will be cooking a 11 pound choice packer brisket tomorrow and will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #98
Arristillius
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQDaddio View Post
Common brothers. Not everyone is going to agree on every topic or cooker/smoker.

The Pbc is meat cooking vessel like a wsm, kettle, pellet pooper and Stickburner. I have and love cooking on the Pbc but do not expect others to have same opinion.

I hope everyone here that is chiming in this thread is wearing big boy pants and do not take everything that has been said to heart.

Let's stick to the original topic and move on. I would not want people leaving this forum due to hurt feelings.

I will be cooking a 11 pound choice packer brisket tomorrow and will keep everyone posted on the outcome.
I think everyone agrees that it is a meat cooking vessel, I think the only disagreement is between people who understand that it is simply a 30 gallon drum UDS with a couple pieces of rebar to hang meat and some horse shoe decorations, and people who think it is a revolutionary new cooking device that churns out amazing food almost by itself.

Anything you can do on the "PBC" branded drum smoker you can also do on any non-branded UDS if you just buy some hooks, I have 4 of these and I hung stuff under the rack with them a few times, I generally have enough rack space for what I am cooking so I don't use them often but it is nice to have the option.
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Rose-M.../dp/B001PZD7QS
Arristillius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #99
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arristillius View Post
I think everyone agrees that it is a meat cooking vessel, I think the only disagreement is between people who understand that it is simply a 30 gallon drum UDS with a couple pieces of rebar to hang meat and some horse shoe decorations, and people who think it is a revolutionary new cooking device that churns out amazing food almost by itself.

Anything you can do on the "PBC" branded drum smoker you can also do on any non-branded UDS if you just buy some hooks, I have 4 of these and I hung stuff under the rack with them a few times, I generally have enough rack space for what I am cooking so I don't use them often but it is nice to have the option.
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Rose-M.../dp/B001PZD7QS

I completely disagree..it's NOT a 30 gallon UDS because a UDS can control temp and is designed to shut down to preserve charcoal as well as perform long slow cooks and smoke.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #100
16Adams

I don't normally name my cookers, but meet my "PBC" Manziel.

Last edited by 16Adams; 06-01-2014 at 11:41 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #101
SmittyJonz

I want a Yellow one.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #102
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

A simple Search of the Forum will get you lots of answers. Some will fit your way of thinking and others will not and probably frustrate you even more. This applies to the UDS vs PBC to which Thermapen is fastest. I've built my share of Drums from my son's MUDS to my Drums. I don't put em all on the same page. Of the Drums I've built, some had a better design and worked better from one Drum to another. My WSM is a WSM. Grillzilla is Grillzilla. My SJP is my SJP. People come over to my house and ask why the hell I have so many different grills, smokers, etc. My answer.......twofold. Cause I can have em and for me, they each have their own niche.
The PBC fit a niche in that it had more capacity than our MUDS and was easier to carry than the full size UDS for camping, tailgating, etc. It was practical in that sense for us too. That being said, the hooks, rebar etc are what they are. Sure, you can add em to your UDS if you built your own. Some folks are handy with tools.........others not so much. Aesthetics is a factor too when it's sitting out there in your yard. Drums can be good looking too. Out of the box, Built in the USA, Noah is a great guy and a US Veteran,,,,,,,,,,,,,he stands by his product and from what we have seen here, Customer Service is top notch.
As Phil stated earlier, free flow of info is encouraged. That's what this place is about. We are particularly passionate about things we enjoy or are comfortable with or even believe in, that's a good thing too.
My PBC has produced some quality food with the hooks or on the grate. So has my WSM and UDS, and to be honest, I'll put a simple Weber Kettle up against some of the biggest, baddest, shiniest, and most expensive pits any day and still crank out some tasty Q! There is also a bit of sport involved in these types of threads. Those of you that have been around long enough, know the type of chain yanking I'm talking about! That's part of the forum and the membership too.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&highlight=PBC
You can stuff that little can FULL of Meat, if you know what you are doing! LOL
Most times, actually, all the time.........it's about good food and good times.
And the Holidays too.
Bob

It's the cook! Not the cooker!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-03-2014 at 12:34 AM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #103
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

By no means is a Pbc the be all know all best of the bunch cooker. It's a in my opinion easy set it a forget it cooker. Other people may think the uds and or the wsm is just as easy and it probably is of that person.

I have cooked low and slow at 250 and hot and fast between 280-325 also was able to sear steak and crisp up chicken skin at over 500. I have also been able to snuff out coals for future cooks without a problem.
At the end of the day lets cook great tasting meat and post some pron here for everyone to drool over.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 AM   #104
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #105
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

QUOTE ONE - I completely disagree..it's NOT a 30 gallon UDS because a UDS can control temp and is designed to shut down to preserve charcoal as well as perform long slow cooks and smoke.

QUOTE 2 - I think everyone agrees that it is a meat cooking vessel, I think the only disagreement is between people who understand that it is simply a 30 gallon drum UDS with a couple pieces of rebar to hang meat and some horse shoe decorations, and people who think it is a revolutionary new cooking device that churns out amazing food almost by itself.

I completely disagree with these quote because I agree wholeheartedly.

BUT JERKEYS I AM ON MY COMPUTER SO NOW I CAN WRITE!!!!!

So let me straighten this out for good. At least until the next time I say it.

What this guy says above (about PEOPLE saying it being revolutionary new cooking device ) is EXACTLY what pissed me off about the PBC in the first place. And it was not the OWNER that was making these claims but some of the of the whack a doodles that got their panties in a wad because, and I WILL UPDATE YOU, they felt that anybody who was trying to adapt their UDSs to hang meat or be like the PBC was committing a heinous act of copyright and patent infringement.

One person simply wanted to know how big the "magic hole" was and it was crazy the amount of crap was going on about it. Some members were acting as if copying the PBC rack hanging was going to RUIN Noah and put his wife and child on the street.

The other half, myself included, was just jealous cuz we had the knowledge of this and never patented it ourselves.

I originally took a hard stance against the PBC and its whacked out owners because yes, they were militant about their smokers. Nothing is more fun on here that picking on the militant ones whose opinions are inflexible and that is why I essentially play the part on the forum. Another contradiction. And let me get something out of the way for you "is it a cooker/smoker/pit/dildo molder" asshats.

YOU ALL COOK ON FARKING OVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Aint but a handful of you farkers on this site even cook on a Pit. Unless you have an Oyler Woodshow, you can't move a pit. And more and more of you are abandoning the stick burner for these vault like things that even I am drooling over (but I won't go in to the evils of this which I would love to have a hand in promoting GEORGE SHORE!!!!!!)

So let say it clear. If the MEAT LOOKS AND TASTES RIGHT it don't matter what you are cooking on. For some of you, you won;t get that till u arrive in a sanctioned event and some asshat beats your big assed expensive smoker with a webber kettle, UDS, PBC, pellet burner, treager, trashcan, whatever.

So lastly let me address this "UDS can be modified and designed to be adjustable so therefore the PBC sucks by comparison" comment. This is bullchit. Here is why.

How would you like me to spend the next 50 posts linking you asshats to the many "please help me, my wussy hurts and I started my period and I can't make my UDS burn right - I did everything the thread said and it won't work.... sniff, sniff" posts?

Look, the simplest design I have seen of the UDS design is two holes drilled, two refrigerator magnets for dampers, a rack, three bolts and nuts and washers and a lid with holes cut in it. Now essentially the farking vents are SET until you move them. On the PBC you have one hole, a screw and a metal flap that ALSO is adjustable.

For both, should you want to make an adjustment or GET MORE COMPLEX you can if you want. I have. Heck I wan't to make a rod and lever to adjust the vent on my PBC from the top. Worried about wasting charcoal on the PBC, throw a freaking welding blanket over it -- that will choke it out.

Go look at the UDS thread. It is ONE smoker? Or 3500 adaptations of the same thing? It is the latter. And like a recipe you are trying to adapt to do or taste like you wanted it to, its essential to start with a baseline that works. THEN YOU FARK WITH IT!!! Or would you like me too link you to the million "I smoked my brisket using a combined cook of every suggestion I ever read on here and now I have a mess and don't know what when wrong help me my wussy hurts and my period has me cramping real bad?" A good start would be my brisket failure thread.

This is the reason for the suggestion of salt and pepper only rub for your first brisket, for my NIGHTTRAIN EXPERIMENT, or for Noah to set out the PBCs adjustable flap preset or with THREE basic settings for altitude.

How many UDS builders would like the time back now for all the adjusting they did settling their UDS in when they first tried to cook on it? Remember, each pit breathes differently when you adjust it.. how much do you adjust, how long do you wait to see the temp change, how long before you adjust it again?

I still love my Screwdriver UDS. I am a tinkerer. But I also think those that do not have the time, money, facilities, room, or skills or enough maxi pads to tinker need a great starting point.

My wife is like many wives, except she is probably hotter than most of yours. And pregnant. Please post pictures of your wives so I can see. She would not even know where to start on the UDS should I have a stroke and she wanted to feed me a nice smoked chicken for me to choke on. But I know for a fact she can start the PBC, hang the birds, and pull them at the right time EVERY TIME and that is saying a lot. Now two things make me superflous in the house, the PBC and a pack of rechargeable double-a batteries and her egg. Which is nothing like the green egg.

Heck some people can even **** up a weber kettle smoke because its got two adjustments.

So let me close this out. Why am I such a PBC preacher?

Mostly because I talked to its owner. He never defended the PBC as hard as some of its proponents. It was what it was. He never disagreed with me that in my area, Gulf coast Italians took oil drums, meat and pried holes in the bottoms, threw charcoal or coals in and used wood slats and wire to smoke meats since the 1920s. But he did put his three balls on the line and patent his version of a small UDS tweaked perfectly for most applications and spent the money to market it. HE ALSO WILL ANSWER THE PHONE ON THANKGIVING DAY PERSONALLY AND HELP YOU OUT I AM TOLD.

I got a PBC tried it and I am pretty sure NO ONE has made as much ballyhoo and I have about EATING MY OWN WORDS. So there is the contradiction you see. I was wrong and displayed in video format how wrong I was.

The sad videos I have been making recently, the "Season for all Brethren" one and the "Undertaker" both feature the PBC being flooded with 3000 gallons of water and carried off by a depressed pitmaster with more than 9800lbs of other rusting stick burning gear is a message. It is a double edged sword this PBC I think. Like I said... the PBC is a curse and a blessing. I can't put my finger on why. I don't know. Using the PBC then walking by your 6900 lbs stick burner sitting cold and idle is like... well... you wife coming home and wanting to make a baby minutes after you choked the chicken. You go through the motions, you have longer staying power, but you are shooting blanks and you don't want her to find out why she a'int gettin knocked up today. Sorry mods.

A restaurant wanted to do a smoked tenderloin special and wanted to buy a smoker but was not sure weather they wanted to buy a big smoker. They called me because I am known in these parts for having two big pits. I arrived with a modded PBC (placed in my ford Escape) and they nearly **** because they had promoted the event and I seemed unprepared.

A load of coal to burn 7 hours, two extra short cut rebars laying on top, too many hooks to count and we were cooking more than enough to keep up (I think about 20 or so per smoke. They served 150 plates that evening. No surprises, the cooks were left with the smoke once the first batch was done.

Can people do this with other pits? Sure. So what? I made a smoker out of a damn jerrycan!

Is is worth 269? To some it is, to some not. Its like the difference between what you need from a Guru or Stoker or if you even need on at all.

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 01-03-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Tags
pbc pit barrel cooker