• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Tri-Tip

laveen1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
A friend that works for a restaurant meat supplier gave me a 5.5 lb cryovac Tri-Tip. I wasn't sure what to do with it, so I froze it. When I finally got to cook that tri-tip, was I surprised. I had always heard that Tri-Tip was a kind of a dry cut, but not this one! I took it out of the freezer on a Friday thinking I would cook it on Sunday, (but I was off by about 10 days). I finally decided I had to cook it before it sat unfrozen any longer.

I coated it with mustard and rubbed it with a simple mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme and paprika. Then I let it sit for a day in the fridge. I smoked it at around 215-220 until the internal temp came up to 125 (about 2 hrs.). I took it from the smoker and let it rest about 20 minutes. Then I reverse seared it to get a nice crisp fat cap and browned the meat all around. From there I wrapped it tightly in foil, and wrapped the foil package in a couple of heavy towels. I put that bundle in a cooler and let sit for about 2½ - 3 hours. When I opened the package it was still hot, and boy was it JUICY AND DELICIOUS!!! Even though I added no liquid it made enough au jus to keep the meat very moist, even after I carved it, and then when I reheated it a couple of days later. I wonder if sitting unfrozen 10 days in the fridge helped the finished product?

There is no doubt that I will do that cut of meat again. It was as good if not better than most briskets that I have ever eaten. If I can get another cut of meat like that I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Here's the meat after coming to room temp and ready for the cooker. I only found one usable picture out of 8 or 10. Next time I'll use a different camera.

tt1.jpg

Congratulations! I'd say your delay could be qualified as wet aging. ;)

Next time if you want to try something different do a search for Bobby Flay's tri tip marinade. It's really good.

Back