MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #16
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an iPhone 4S that is not active can I use that and see what's going on remotely from my new phone as long as one is close to the cooker. Aka run to the store

Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
I have an iPhone 4S that is not active can I use that and see what's going on remotely from my new phone as long as one is close to the cooker. Aka run to the store
When you say not active, do you mean no sim card?

If so, IDK. How are you going to download the app? wifi?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #18
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam2 View Post
I tried a high heat pulled pork run on my 22"WSM without an ATC and let the temps run a little - attached is the chart from the igrill.
.... you lifted your lid. lol
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
When you say not active, do you mean no sim card?

If so, IDK. How are you going to download the app? wifi?
It does everything but call. I keep it at home and use it on wifi only. Just want to know if I can use my new phone to see what's going on if I am not within Bluetooth range.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
It does everything but call. I keep it at home and use it on wifi only. Just want to know if I can use my new phone to see what's going on if I am not within Bluetooth range.
No; you must be within bluetooth range if you're using an iGrill

Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
va92bronco
On the road to being a farker

I've had one for over a year and when it worked it was great, but that was only about 20% of the time. The range once you go into the house was not very good. That is with the unit being less than 15' away from a patio door and windows. It would always disconnect for no reason then peep until you hit the button on the unit. Would disconnect bluetooth from iphone even though iphone would say still connected. Had a probe go bad after two cooks. Also burns battery power pretty quick.

iGrill did do some updates to improve the connectivity, but still had issues. In the last cook, it finally completely died. Temp shoes like 300 degrees at room temp. Tried all kinds of different probes,but still will not work.

I got it when the price was $100. Might be worth it to be $40 less, but don't be surprised when it has issues. I got a Maverick remote thermo a few weeks after the iGrill. Haven't had a problem with the Maverick yet.
Damage BBQ 250gal offset reverse flow homemade smoker on 5x8 trailer named #2.
va92bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll stick with my 732 then.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
thaifighter06
On the road to being a farker

I have one and it's fantastic.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Mine when I first got it like a year ago and a couple IOS upgrades ago was really a PITA to get connected via bluetooth, but with several IOS upgrades and maybe IGrill ap upgrades it connects a lot nicer now.

One thing I did learn about the higher power bluetooth connections is they may NOT connect well if the two devices are close together (like 3' apart), seems counter intuitive but the makers of some other devices say a bit more separation is better.
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #25
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
.... you lifted your lid. lol
It was actually the first time I did anything high heat more than a few hours on the WSM without using an ATC and the first time wrapping the WSM in a welding blanket for insulation. I let the temp get down close to 300 after a few hours and i decided to keep temperatures up over 300 for the rest of the cook without trying to mess with the vents too much. I was surprised this got done in about 8 hours and I didn't hit the stall. I think the next time I will shoot for 290 and see how the pulled pork turns out. Running my UDS and igrill at work gave me confidence to not obsess over temperatures and stretch out over a longer cook.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

Got one right when it came out. Works great. The upgrades have really made it more user friendly. I never had a maverick 732 but I am thinking about getting another igrill.
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote