MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Talking OK, stickburners... let's see those small and hot fires.

Brethren and Sistren;

Have read, learned, and used many fire management techniques and procedures... thanks to the knowledge of the brethren.
Heard stickburning described as a small, hot, and fast burning technique... useful to keep the sweet blue smoke burning true.

Found it necessary to add a second sheet of expanded steel laying on top of the firegrate... the large steel gaps was dropping the bed of coals too soon. The sheet was a 24" X 24" X 3/4" expanded metal... and bent/folded the sheet to fit. .. just hate to have a multitude of sharp edges from trimming. Got tired of bleeding and reaching for too many band-aids. By folding the sheet kept the edges rounded at the folds. Now the live bed stays with the fire longer... good deal... extending the burn a bit.

The pic shows what it takes to keep the Klose @ 300*... about to add another split of applewood.

That in itself showed me I haven't seen or recalled seeing any offset stickburners showing what is a small, hot, and fast burning fire.

Anyone have any pictures lying around?

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 12-04-2011 at 06:05 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is Ty's Klose, and for some reason whenever I am around, it never gets above 250*!

Ty swears he gets it up to 300*, but I think he's BS'n me.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
gtr

Funny you should ask!

This was for keeping the temp in the vertical chamber at around 135-150. I cut my splits down tiny for this one.

Obviously a much higher temp here - was doing 100# of pork butts at around 275 or so (left side) ranging to 325 or so (firebox side).

I here ya on the coals falling through the grates & I'll try throwing another sheet of expanded in. I have noticed, however, that once I'm well into a long cook, there is a nice coal bed sitting on the ash pan below the grate. Lately I've been keeping everything kinda pushed together and concentrated and have been having good luck with that.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Here's my version, notice that the split on top was only on for a little bit. cooker was at around 220 when I added the split. First pic is the full shot of the cooker. Because of the size of the cooker I have to with even smaller splits. The one on there is actually a little too big.

Last edited by 42BBQ; 06-05-2012 at 04:59 AM..
42BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Flavor Gangster
On the road to being a farker

Default Fire it up

Old 12-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

This was on my first pit... a Pitts & Spitts 24x36 (now owned by Cue's Your Daddy / Paul)

Brought back some real good memories looking at that photo series of the pit...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 01-19-2014 at 03:28 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

and a bit hard to see, but here's the Klose...

there's a fire though the vent holes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k3.JPG (72.3 KB, 1753 views)
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

damn... i gotta work on my fire management. but my fires look nothing like these. my firebox looks EXACTLY like the pic up top. (pits by jj, but they are almost identical to the klose pits)

my fires i need at least 2 splits in the firebox at all times otherwise i feel that the fire starts to go out, or is not hot enough. (this is with the vents completely open) but at the same time i feel creates more of a hot spot bc the bigger flames in the firebox that are sometimes up to the top of the firebox.

how do you keep such a small fire burning? and burning clean? how long can you leave it like this before it goes out and gives off milky smoke? i usually will go 45 minutes without checking mine.

maybe mine is also dropping the coals too early down into the tray? here is what my firebox/bottom grate looks like...

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Dirty, try using smaller splits. I've been getting mine down to this size lately. I shoot for 2" to 3" splits and cut my logs at 12" or so.

Last edited by 42BBQ; 06-05-2012 at 04:59 AM..
42BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

hmmm. ill try that. actually having a tree cut down this week from my front yard. so ill cut it up into about 10-12" pieces before i split em.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM

Old 12-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

I feel the secret to a clean fire is keeping a good bed of HOT coals under the splits.
You get that going and you could throw a concrete block in there and it'll burn!
Oh yeah... pre-heat the splits before you put them in the firebox. Makes a world of difference.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Boshizzle

275F in my Jambo with this one.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Here's what I do... from a cold firebox:
1. Laid down a smaller mesh of expanded steel over the original firegrate... to reduce dropping of useful coals.
2. Place one full chimney in the firebox and light... to warm the pit.
3. Once the chimney is fully ablaze, remove from firebox and place 2 pre-warmed splits (oak) on the firegrate mesh.
4. Pour lit chimney over the oak splits.

Shortly a bed of coals will be available... if its too hot, wait 15 minutes.

*** Originally tried pouring the chimney over the larger, original firegrate... and saw some of the charcoal fall thru the grate... hence the smaller mesh (3/4").

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
275F in my Jambo with this one.
That's a thread stopper pic right there!

www.TooAshamedToName.com - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

sometimes i feel that my fires go out bc the splits go flat against the bottom grate and the fire doesnt have space. so i cant see how u can lay 2 splits and pour the coals OVER them. i usually pour the coals and then put 3 splits over the coals. ill try your method next time. does your bottom grate have 2 metal pieces sticking up to lift the splits?

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM

Tags
Stickburners