MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #91
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

BTW, brethren, to make sure we honor the BBQ men and women that inspired this sauce, please let others know that it is called Shack Attack. Ol' Shack deserves a lot of the credit. It was his story that inspired the sauce recipe. In Virginia, a lot of former slaves that were freed at the end of the civil war made a living by cooking BBQ using the techniques they learned while enslaved. This sauce is a tribute to every one of them.

I want their stories told and I want them to get the credit they deserve for what they created cooking distinctly American BBQ. It was the contribution of thousands of nameless great BBQ cooks that had a great deal to do with what we all enjoy nowadays as BBQ.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #92
WhatsCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Keen to give this a try. I'm a low-carb guy, so this looks right up my alley.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #93
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsCookin View Post
Keen to give this a try. I'm a low-carb guy, so this looks right up my alley.
It sure is. No sugar but full of flavor. And it's good on anything I've tried it on.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #94
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Made the original batch of this on Monday and will try it out on some PP this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #95
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Purgatory, inspired by this sauce and soon to be the first video in a seven day Pitmaster Video Festival, is actually a new obsession of mine. Here is why.... when I release "Purgatory Stout" sauce.... which is essentially a concentrate you place on standby (due to volume) to be "enhanced" later with water, you will see how I am going to be changing A LOT of my sauce recipes. The reason why is.... I typically make three individual and unique sauces when I do charity BBQ's.... what if you found a way to make a stout that has a common path to all three? Or even more.

That's the REVERSE of what some people do.... modify already "perfected" sauces.

For those that cross utilize... having say, 6 quarts of a Purgatory Stout (Shack) on standby... can get you easily to a Unique Hot Sauce (Full Strength), Mustard Sauce add Mustatrd and sugar, Sweet Red Sauce by adding Ketchup and sugar, glaze, by adding pectins, sugars etc, or vinegar sauce by adding water.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #96
stubshaft
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I made some and it is one of my "go to's" now!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #97
ardorx
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up

Used a modified version of this in a finishing glaze on pork loin the other night....crazy good! Thanks for sharing with us!

Last edited by ardorx; 12-19-2012 at 08:11 PM..
ardorx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #98
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker

Just to add to the list of uses for this sauce: A splash of this goes great on mashed potatoes :P

Old 07-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #99
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up

I just made my first batch:

I had to deviate from the original recipe as follows:
1 3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Water
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Table Salt (iodized)
2 TBSP Tarragon Mustard
As suggested I replaced the 1/4 cup Hot Sauce with 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, because we only have Tabasco and Habanero in tiny expensive bottles, and Sriracha comes with added sugar and some other stuff, that I think should not go into such a fine and all natural product. The vinegar + cayenne had a really nice touch, not too hot, but with an enjoyable tangy kick.

I don't know how many kinds of Paprika you have available over there in powder form, but we always only use Sweet Paprika for rubs and sauces, so it was the logical thing to use for this recipe.

I know there is always a discussion going on about iodized salt, but table or kitchen salt is almost always iodized here, and the only alternative would have been sea salt, but I'm fine with table salt in this mix.

We don't have that really yellow cheap mustard, so when it's about mustard, it's tarragon, which comes in tangy and sweet flavors, I used the tangy one for this sauce.

The result is really surprising. At first I had reservations the sauce could get too thin due to the high amount of liquid, but once it left the blender, is really was a nice smooth sauce with an extraordinary flavor profile. Tangy, very vinegary with a slight kick of hotness. It was hard to stop tasting it, so it has to be good! It will come to good use for this Sunday's pork butt.

Some remaining questions:
  • Do I want to store this sauce in the fridge, or at room temperature?
  • Do I want to shake the bottle once daily till it's used, or just let it sit around?
  • Is there an estimated expiry date or a "best before" opinion?

Old 07-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #100
ardorx
Knows what a fatty is.

Sounds like a great version!

1. I leave mine on the counter at room temp
2. I only shake it when I use it, I haven't noticed it to separate (shouldn't since there is no oil/fat)
3. Since it is a vinegar sauce, it would theoretically out last us all, but I don't think it would hurt to go 6 months or more, though it won't last that long I bet
ardorx is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #101
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Purgatory, inspired by this sauce and soon to be the first video in a seven day Pitmaster Video Festival, is actually a new obsession of mine. Here is why.... when I release "Purgatory Stout" sauce.... which is essentially a concentrate you place on standby (due to volume) to be "enhanced" later with water, you will see how I am going to be changing A LOT of my sauce recipes. The reason why is.... I typically make three individual and unique sauces when I do charity BBQ's.... what if you found a way to make a stout that has a common path to all three? Or even more.

That's the REVERSE of what some people do.... modify already "perfected" sauces.

For those that cross utilize... having say, 6 quarts of a Purgatory Stout (Shack) on standby... can get you easily to a Unique Hot Sauce (Full Strength), Mustard Sauce add Mustatrd and sugar, Sweet Red Sauce by adding Ketchup and sugar, glaze, by adding pectins, sugars etc, or vinegar sauce by adding water.
Sounds great!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #102
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardorx View Post
Used a modified version of this in a finishing glaze on pork loin the other night....crazy good! Thanks for sharing with us!
That pork looks delicious!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #103
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
I just made my first batch:

I had to deviate from the original recipe as follows:
1 3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Water
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Table Salt (iodized)
2 TBSP Tarragon Mustard
As suggested I replaced the 1/4 cup Hot Sauce with 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, because we only have Tabasco and Habanero in tiny expensive bottles, and Sriracha comes with added sugar and some other stuff, that I think should not go into such a fine and all natural product. The vinegar + cayenne had a really nice touch, not too hot, but with an enjoyable tangy kick.

I don't know how many kinds of Paprika you have available over there in powder form, but we always only use Sweet Paprika for rubs and sauces, so it was the logical thing to use for this recipe.

I know there is always a discussion going on about iodized salt, but table or kitchen salt is almost always iodized here, and the only alternative would have been sea salt, but I'm fine with table salt in this mix.

We don't have that really yellow cheap mustard, so when it's about mustard, it's tarragon, which comes in tangy and sweet flavors, I used the tangy one for this sauce.

The result is really surprising. At first I had reservations the sauce could get too thin due to the high amount of liquid, but once it left the blender, is really was a nice smooth sauce with an extraordinary flavor profile. Tangy, very vinegary with a slight kick of hotness. It was hard to stop tasting it, so it has to be good! It will come to good use for this Sunday's pork butt.

Some remaining questions:
  • Do I want to store this sauce in the fridge, or at room temperature?
  • Do I want to shake the bottle once daily till it's used, or just let it sit around?
  • Is there an estimated expiry date or a "best before" opinion?
Looks like you nailed it!

I shake it before use. If you want to extend its shelf life, refrigerate it. My guess is that the shelf life would equal the shelf life of the mustard which is probably about 18 months with refrigeration.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #104
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...80#post2142680

Shack Attack got me off my ass and started our new and first annual Film Festival.... Thanks Boshizzle and Keith Lilly.... Jizzle inspired Puragtory and Lilly inspired the Stout.

Here is what happened... I did an Oyler consult at a local resturant owned by some VP of Applesbees from way back. He was complaining about how he was going through having to make 50 gallon of sauce every few days and in the middle of me looking at his recipe (in his case) everytime he made his sauce to store in the walk in in those 5 gallon buckets he was adding nearly 40% water. I said, dude.... why don;t you make your sauce base, store it as a stout (which will cut down the labor of actually using and cleaning the big water jackets sauce vat) --- this it would cut this down 40% as well and you would have to do it almost half as often, then when you need sauce, simply add your portion of water - this also frees up your cook. Then in the middle of it... after making this Purgatory/Shack thing.... I decided to take my own advice... thus the video.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #105
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have not read this thread until today but I did make some up and now wish I had made it yesterday because I was going to do some rib tips. Now I think I will wait until tomorrow at least.

I want to stick to the original recipe before making any changes, even used the blender but later after I have tried it on its own, I would like it to be thicker so it will stick better. xanthan gum was mentioned as a thickener, I have never used it and don't have any on hand, do you think arrowroot will do it?

I tasted it and it did not seem to hot, I used Sriracha hot sauce which is all I had on hand and I know it can sneak up on you, out of the question for my wife's taste buds.
Dave