Wagyu on the 22

I

IQ2

Hello all,

Haven't posted in a while and life events have kept me away from the smoker for a bit BUT..

I'm smoking a Akaushi whole packer :p that weighs in at 12 pounds this Saturday. This will be my first attempt with a piece of meat of this quality.

My plan is to start it early and try to keep it at around 250. Got the Maverick for precise temp info. Pecan and a touch of mesquite are the wood I think I'll put on top of the K competition briquettes for the first couple of hours.

I'm trying to decide on what rub to use. I was first considering Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub but am now considering Bovine Bold and/or Red Dirt (or a mixture) and a little black pepper instead.

Also debating whether or not to bother with a final sauce, I would think the idea is to taste the wagyu meat as much as possible?

I'd love to hear some feedback on this from those of you who have done a wagyu brisket. Any tips and trick, sauces or rub, wood and cooking temp thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This is a celebratory cook for myself and several other folks that have overcome some serious life events in the past year. I want to do it right. I promise to post pics as I go.

Thanks in advance guys (and gals). :thumb:

The biggest thing about wagyu is that it doesn't have a stall. Cooks right through and finishes really damn quick compared to a normal packer. Be prepared to have it off in 6 hours.

The biggest thing about wagyu is that it doesn't have a stall. Cooks right through and finishes really damn quick compared to a normal packer.

Why is this? Fat content? Moisture content?

'splain please.

I don't have an explanation, just a theory. Regardless though, it just does.

I've cooked a few dozen wagyu I get from a local butcher here over the last several years. Same thing every time. Cooks straight through. I'm not saying it will finish in six hours, I'm saying be prepared.

My theory on why there is no stall is basically a big portion for the reasoning that wagyu is such a good product. Very little connective tissue.

Hope you found one with a nice thick flat!

I will be watching this thread for two reasons.

1. I have never cooked a whole packer brisky on the Weber.....
2. I have never cooked waygu .......

and am interested in how it goes. :thumb:

I don't have an explanation, just a theory.

My theory on why there is no stall is basically a big portion for the reasoning that wagyu is such a good product. Very little connective tissue.

Bingo! That makes a lot of sense..

Thanks

First of all IQ2, congratulations on getting through whatever it was that life threw at you, my family is coming up on the 4 year anniversary of nearly losing my first son to undiagnosed infant diabetes (he was nine weeks old at the time and is now a Miracle child through Children's Miracle Network) Second, my only input on the Wagyu is regarding sauce, while I've never cooked one, I believe a good brisket just needs a little bit of the drippings from the cook for sauce. Let that beef sing!!!

ps: I just calculated shipping and meat price last night for getting a Snake River Farms Wagyu sent here to PA...would have been a $10 a lb brisket lol. Enjoy that baby :-D

Slight hi-jack, but where did you find a Wagyu brisket? Do they sell them somewhere in the Raleigh area or did you order online?

Thanks for the input guys!

Wow, no stall. Thanks for sharing that bigabyte. I never would have thought of that but your theory makes sense! No point starting it at 4:00am then :-D

Drippings for sauce sound like a plan 42BBQ. Happy 4 year anniversary! Never know what life is going to throw at you. Glad he's doing good!

Wrench-H - I ordered it as mentioned.

Any thoughts on the rubs for this baby?

One thing I left out, I was considering injecting it with beef broth but I'm now thinking that may be entirely unnecessary for this cut of meat. Agreed?

If you're intent on using a commercial rub, you mentioned Bovine Bold, and that's a good one IMHO, but a Wagyu doesn't need anything more than salt and pepper, and maybe just a little garlic?

What temp did it finish at? I cook them and those farkers seem to finish all over the place.
I go by feel too, and I gotta admit, wagyu can be a sumbitch wondering when to pull it because they get tender so fast. Heck, they're tender to start with pretty much. I would say I pull them in the upper 180's/lower 190's on average, but I don't have the data to verify that. I can't recall any that were underdone, or an overdone one either.:noidea:

They have a different flavor too in my opinion. More like steak than brisket. I like them, but I do Choice Packers from Sam's a lot more often than prime or wagyu.

You could serve Wagyu tartare and it might very well be good.

I go by feel too, and I gotta admit, wagyu can be a sumbitch wondering when to pull it because they get tender so fast. Heck, they're tender to start with pretty much. I would say I pull them in the upper 180's/lower 190's on average, but I don't have the data to verify that. I can't recall any that were underdone, or an overdone one either.:noidea:

They have a different flavor too in my opinion. More like steak than brisket. I like them, but I do Choice Packers from Sam's a lot more often than prime or wagyu.

You could serve Wagyu tartare and it might very well be good.

Right on..

Did you at any point wrap the wagyu brisket in foil (crutch) during the cooking or was it just meat direct on the smoker? THANKS!

i have never done a wagyu but i agree with misterbob and based on what you said if you this is your first time and you really want to taste the meat to fully appreciate its high quality i would go with a simple salt/pepper rub. however, bovine bold is not overpowering at all so maybe a slight dusting if it with the salt and pepper would be a nice added layer of flavor. i would also not inject. having said that i have never done one as i already said but if its as good a cut of meat as everyone's saying it is, it should not need much extra help in the flavor category. good luck and congratulations on overcoming your obstacle. i am looking forward to the pron!:p

Actually, in Japan, true top grade kryoshi and/or top grade akaushi beef, is served raw, or seared. The meat is rarely heated and the fat is generally preferred on the luke warm side. It is not seen as a cooking beef. Even the lowest grades are normally never cooked past rare.

Right on..

Did you at any point wrap the wagyu brisket in foil (crutch) during the cooking or was it just meat direct on the smoker? THANKS!
I've never foiled one, but then I rarely foil anything except my head any more.:becky:

Back