Noob thermometer probe question

smokainmuskoka

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Today's my 20th wedding anniversary, and my dear bride got me an hilarious butane bbq lighter shaped like a giant matchstick, some oiled grill wipes, a perforated grill pan and a Maverick ET-808C thermometer.

This'll be the first experience I've had with the therm and since it has just the one probe, what are the brethren's take on using it more to monitor grill temp or food temp. Up until now I've been using a combination of oven thermometer inside my cooker and a candy thermometer.
In my 22.5" Weber kettle the candy therm is in the exhaust vent, in my Char-Broil COS, I just put it in the hole where the therm that came with it would go if it weren't so obviously out of whack.

I've also noticed in some prOn, several folks have a probe imbedded in what appears to be a small block of wood atop the grill grate. I'm assuming this is just an offcut from some unfinished scrap 2X4 or such. If that is indeed the case, please advise what a reasonable height off the grill surface would be to drill the hole for the probe.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

about 2-3" above the grill grate is the prime spot. the reason for the woodblock or a tater is because touching the probe tip to a metal grate will foul your probe & ruin it.

i'm not familiar w/ that model but is it a dual probe or just a meat probe thermo?

if it's a meat probe they tend to reset above 250 degrees. they're not meant for pit temps.

I have seen lots of pic where they use a small potato for the same purpose. I been thinking of trying the wood also. I am going to make mine 1 1/2" up off the grill. I don't think it is super critical but I have not tried it yet. So I will watch this post to find out. I know one thing for sure and that is most of the cheaper probe cables are only good to 500 for short period of time. The tip of my probe is rated for 392. I have ruined one cooking tri tip during the sear process. So check your thermometer specs before you go higher heat. I will only be using mine for below 350 cooks from now on. One other thing I got my replacement thermometer from ThermoWorks and the great thing is they have replacement probes you can buy for $8.00 so if you do fry the cable you can replace just the cable and not the whole unit. I now keep an extra cable on hand.

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::

I have seen lots of pic where they use a small potato for the same purpose. I been thinking of trying the wood also. I am going to make mine 1 1/2" up off the grill. I don't think it is super critical but I have not tried it yet. So I will watch this post to find out. I know one thing for sure and that is most of the cheaper probe cables are only good to 500 for short period of time. The tip of my probe is rated for 392. I have ruined one cooking tri tip during the sear process. So check your thermometer specs before you go higher heat. I will only be using mine for below 350 cooks from now on. One other thing I got my replacement thermometer from ThermoWorks and the great thing is they have replacement probes you can buy for $8.00 so if you do fry the cable you can replace just the cable and not the whole unit. I now keep an extra cable on hand.

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::

the difference between the tater & wood is. the wood never has to be replaced unless it catches fire & you can always eat the tater @ the end of the cook.:thumb:

Thanks all,
I'd read about the potato solution as well as using a radish to keep the probe from coming in contact with the grill. I think I'll go the wood block route if the thermometer specs are favourable.

I stick my probe through a wine cork to monitor the grill temp. Usually now I just stick it in the meat, because I am more interested in the internal temp of the meat than the exact grill height temp.

Back