• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st cook on the UDS

ghermanpa

Reaction score
Cooking a whole chicken and an 8 pound turkey breast on the UDS. The temp gauge is mounted on the side just under the cooking grate. It extends only about 2 inches into the barrel.

Does anyone have any advice on the temp in the center and if there is any variance from my reading on the side?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try to get some pics up later on how it turns out.

Thanks

From my experience with the UDS, when doing the minion method burn, for the first several hours I was reading 50-75* warmer in the center of the grate than the thermo on the outside of the drum. I have since put a heat deflector in and that seems to help. Good luck on your first cook in the UDS. They are a GREAT smoker.

BBQ4FUN is correct, you will have different heat zones in the drum and usually the center is the hottest. You can try using diffusers if you need or just learn and manage the temp based on the side reading knowing its higher in the middle. Also, you can do a biscuit test where you put uncooked biscuits in various areas on the grate. Then watch them as they cook and you will easily see where the heat really is.

I used a diffuser in mine yesterday and had a 15-20 degree variation from the center to the outside edge.

FWIW, I just calibrated my pit thermometer about 15 degrees up so that it will read closer to correct when cooking at temp. I know that the thermal dynamics inside the drum will change from cook to cook based on what's on the racks but I just want to be closer with the analog thermometer.

Thanks for the advice everyone - I was able to peg the outside thermometer at about 265 assuming the center would be between 300-325. 2 hours and 20 minutes later with 2 chunks of hickory produced some of the best poultry I ever ate. Incredibly moist with a real nice, not overpowering, smoke flavor. I'm hooked!!! :-D

I brined the birds for 7-8 hours in a kosher salt and brown sugar and black pepper brine and then just dusted them with paprika before putting them on.

I have an 8 pound pork shoulder in the freezer that I can't wait to try.

DSC05084.JPG

DSC05085.JPG

DSC05086.JPG

DSC05089.JPG

Back