• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Folding Table Height

Anchors Smokeshop

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Is there a recommended height that competition teams are using for their folding tables?
I bought 36" folding tables and pvc pipe to use for the leg extensions, but I'm not sure what a good height would be.
If this helps, I'm 5'9".

I just made my extensions so that the table was the same height as my kitchen counters in the house, 36"

Why not make it the height that your are comfortable at. ie. you are not bending over to work. Start out at a 40" height. Try it and if too high, cut off an inch. etc. etc. Your are the one working so make it for yourself, not the world. Just my 2 cents.

Why not make it the height that your are comfortable at. ie. you are not bending over to work. Start out at a 40" height. Try it and if too high, cut off an inch. etc. etc. Your are the one working so make it for yourself, not the world. Just my 2 cents.

Ditto:thumb:

X3...:thumb:

Or stand near a wall and put your arms down at a comfortable height to pretend you are trimming meat (probably between belly button and belt line height). Walk over to a wall with your hands at that working height, make a mark and then measure it.

We picked up an adjustable height folder at Costco or Sam's a couple years ago. Best thing I've seen yet.

There's also various ways to make the PVC extensions adjustable which can be handy when placed on uneven ground. Although I've yet to make that mod, there have been more than a few times I wished I had.

One way to do this that I have seen is to place a length of smaller diameter PVC in the bottom of your PVC extension and drill a hole through both 2" from the bottom. Then pull the insert out so it extends 1" below the extension and drill a hole through the insert using the hole on the original extension as a guide. Repeat the process for 2", 3" etc. Then use a bolt and a nut to lock the extension at the desired length.

We just cut the PVC in 13" pieces, no idea how high that actually makes the table, but our team ranges in height from 5'5 to 6'4. We found adding 13" makes it comfortable for everyone.

Whats the best way to make the pvc extensions? I saw it on here somewhere.... but cant seem to find it again.

I cut mine at 19" but I am 6'2". Also some table legs are made differently so you might need to compensate for that.

We use 4 of these, they work perfectly. If you dont know, these are call sand spikes, they are used for holding you fishing rod when surf fishing. Who knew they had multiple uses?
SES-SS36-2.jpg

What diameter PVC pipe do you use?

From embarrassing personal experience, I strongly recommend measuring the widest part of the table leg you want it to fit over and getting the next sized inner diameter up from that. I would not recommend going to Home Depot and saying, "That looks right."

Back