Side VS BabyBacks

W

worf

I have gotten pretty good at doing babybacks on the LBGE. There is a sale on ribs this week for Side ribs ... 1.66/lb

What is the major difference between them?

At Costco, the BBs are 4.55/lb ...

Is there a major difference? That is a big difference in price ...

Thanks

I think I will just pick up some of the side ribs and cook them the same way I do the BBs. From what I understand, they will have to cook longer.

Will give it a try this weekend.

You might have to trim them up.."st louis style" No big deal....que the trimmings the same way...makes good snacks.

I refuse to buy BBs unless they are on sale for $2.99 or less. Then, I buy them like they are going out of style and freeze them for later use.

Now the bros might disagree, but I think those side ribs tend to get dry quicker than the BBs do. And there's more bone versus meat to them. But otherwise, ribs is ribs.

i do spare ribs all the time. i hate trimming off the extra meat. but to make them look like what people are use to its a good idea. anyways i cook them on 300* for 4 hours. then cooler them for atleast 1 to 2 hours, if not longer. i also like to marinate them over night. good luck they are very good tasting ribs.

I think those side ribs tend to get dry quicker than the BBs do. And there's more bone versus meat to them. But otherwise, ribs is ribs.
They can dry out faster, and so many people sprtiz or mop them. And, back ribs generally do have more meat on them than spares. However, they are also more expensive, and althoughthere is more meat, it is less flavorful.

Spares for me. I not paying all that $ for BB's. I finally started just rubin em untrimmed the night before and throwing them on the UDS for 5hrs (3-1-1). I have been happy with the final product and less prep time with no trimming and pulling the membrane.

I like 'em both. I recently bought a case of spareribs for a big dinner and after I got done trimming them I had just a TON of trimmings left over. I cooked the spares about the same way I do BBs. They were awesome but a few of them were still a little toothsome. Next time I'm going to foil them for awhile.

By the way, I had real good luck taking some of the leftover rib tips, cutting them up, and boiling them in a pot until they fell apart, then straining the contents of the pot into a bowl through a colander. I set the colander (full) back on top of the pot to drip and cool a bit, and defat the broth in a gravy pitcher. When the meat has cooled, I pick off the meat, discarding the cartilage and any fatty tissue. Now I have nice pork meat and broth to use making a pilaf, or pork filling for burritos or enchiladas, or to use in a bean soup, or in a chili. Or the pork works great in pork fried rice or even in stir fries. So don't think the only thing to do with the trimmings is to smoke them and snack on them.

seattlepitboss

the spares i get they have more meat on them then the bb's do. sad! if your wrap in foil and cooler them for atleast 1 hour, they will be tender and real juicy . mmmmmm all this talk aboout ribs is making me hungry. :)

They can dry out faster, and so many people sprtiz or mop them. And, back ribs generally do have more meat on them than spares. However, they are also more expensive, and althoughthere is more meat, it is less flavorful.

Where do yuo get your bb's with more meat than spares? It is the opposite I believe. I used to cook only babybacks, but decided to save and get more for the money.

Back