MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Pro Q

I went to another forum that I visit and there are a couple of threads and references to other forums about the Pro Q. Seems these folks do not like it at all. They figured it would work as well as a WSM but it doesn't. A couple of guys have modded the vents and fire pan which helped. So let the Brethren be warned.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!

Last edited by Norcoredneck; 06-09-2008 at 09:12 AM..
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

I bought the Frontier which only has one bottom vent. On the second cook I was ready to pretty frustrated with the thing. Once I add an extra intake or two and raise the charcoal pan it should be fine but as is its non functional. For what I paid I should have bought a WSM. It was cheaper even with a stacker but I don't think it was worth it in the long run.

Last edited by ComputerMike; 06-09-2008 at 06:57 PM..
ComputerMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
BBQ Grail

Let's remember that a member of this forum is the creator of the ProQ. Ian is a good guy and I'm sure will eventually chime in. Constructive critiques are good and any business person will appreciate that. But as this thread moves forward can we make sure it's civil.

ComputerMike and Norco your posts are not what prompted this. I just fear for down the road.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I know a lot of people are looking forward to the 20 inch diameter model and for the extra section they are making for the WSM.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
Let's remember that a member of this forum is the creator of the ProQ. Ian is a good guy and I'm sure will eventually chime in. Constructive critiques are good and any business person will appreciate that. But as this thread moves forward can we make sure it's civil.

ComputerMike and Norco your posts are not what prompted this. I just fear for down the road.
That is what this forum is about. sharing info, good and bad. If someone makes something that people are unhappy with they should be able to voice their opinion and not have to sugar coat it. I work hard for my money and invite opinions on products. Nice to read peoples trials of new products before rushing out and buying one. Hell if Ian wants to speak up or prove his product send me one. I will be fair and everyone knows I can always use another smoker.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The new ProQ Excel 20 has 3 air vents in the base and several other improvements. I look forward to owning one soon if my money is right.

BTW I'll be smokin on one this weekend.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
That is what this forum is about. sharing info, good and bad. If someone makes something that people are unhappy with they should be able to voice their opinion and not have to sugar coat it. I work hard for my money and invite opinions on products. Nice to read peoples trials of new products before rushing out and buying one.
I don't think anyone is saying that opinions have to be sugar coated... Just have to be constructive.... To complain about a product without giving an explanation is just complaining... Nothing can be done to correct the problem.

We used to get grills from Weber every year when I cooked for NASCAR. Mid season they would show up with an Eng. & Craftsman to hear our comments and what we thought could fix it. The next year the grills would be changed/modified with some (if not all) of our suggestions... It worked well.

Give an explanation as to what happened and what you did to correct it and you are not only giving a heads up to those that have not purchased the product but also a way to correct a problem for those that already have it.

Quote:
Hell if Ian wants to speak up or prove his product send me one. I will be fair and everyone knows I can always use another smoker.
I too am willing to throw myself at it and try it out if he wants to send me one...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Give an explanation as to what happened and what you did to correct it and you are not only giving a heads up to those that have not purchased the product but also a way to correct a problem for those that already have it.
I personally don't own one but like a lot of folks here are intrigued by them. I just posted thread as a warning for people to do there own research before buying one. I would have posted links but wanted to be respectful of the Brethren rules about links to other forums.

Offer still stands, If Ian wants a skeptics honest opinion send me one! Oh yeah Divemaster also.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
Ian Mack
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I went to another forum that I visit and there are a couple of threads and references to other forums about the Pro Q. Seems these folks do not like it at all. They figured it would work as well as a WSM but it doesn't. A couple of guys have modded the vents and fire pan which helped. So let the Brethren be warned.
It would be helpful for you to give us a link to the forum you mention, as I too can point you to others that have people who are happy with their units.
Let me state here, that I do appreciate any feedback on our products (good or bad) and where viably possible, will continue to improve and enhance our models. The few people that have written to me directly with suggestions, will attest to fact that we bend over backwards to make things right.
I will be the 1st to admit that the initial units we made were not perfect, the main complaint being the lack of three vents in the base... this unit was designed primarily as a smoker (to run at between 200 - 250) which it does well, I guess I forgot about the few that like to run their units at 350 +, having said that (and in aid of research) I modded one of my bases and fitted an extra 2 vents, now while this sure did improve the top end temps, I found it difficult to control and have been successfully using my "one vent" unit for the past year. Incidentally before I manufactured the units, in my research, I found that the majority of people ran their WSM's with just the one vent open.
All cookers, no matter how similar they look, behave differently and will take time to work out just what the best way is.
As we are a company that respects what their customers want (unlike other manufacturers) on our new models, we have added 2 more vents, in order to please those people that would like to run at hotter temps.

Brethren beware
Ian Mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
Ian Mack
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I personally don't own one but like a lot of folks here are intrigued by them. I just posted thread as a warning for people to do there own research before buying one. I would have posted links but wanted to be respectful of the Brethren rules about links to other forums.

Offer still stands, If Ian wants a skeptics honest opinion send me one! Oh yeah Divemaster also.
Sheeesh dude, you don't even own one???

If I had a dollar for every person that said "send me one to test".... I wouldn't have to bust my butt trying to sell BBQ's

Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

I don't understand why a brother of our forum would create a product and not run it through trials with this bunch.
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #12
Ian Mack
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryhb View Post
I don't understand why a brother of our forum would create a product and not run it through trials with this bunch.
unfortunately I only found this fine establishment a little bit late in the process.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mack View Post
unfortunately I only found this fine establishment a little bit late in the process.
Ian,
Maybe get someone that does reviews on these kinds of things do one for your product and learn from there. Try the naked Whiz, that is what the guy does and he does a fair and unbiased test. Just a thought and this way you know you are getting the full report good & bad.

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
Ian Mack
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the advice Capt, I'll look into it.
There are quite a few people (admittedly not hundreds of thousands) who use our product for competition cooking and are quite happy with the way they work... I guess it's just a case of getting used to how they operate, as like with any new cooker.
I'm not a brilliant cook, but mine does exactly what I want it to do and yes I have used a WSM before

Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #15
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mack View Post
I saw your start date after I posted...bummer. Maybe you can run your next test product through the board.
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote