MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
Big Johnson
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Local Festival Vending (Ribs).....

I have a question that I can't really seem to find on the site. I'm starting to expand my BBQ craft to the masses this year. I want to hit local festivals this Spring and Summer and see if I really want to do this or not.

I've noticed that a lot of the local festivals only give you so much time to prepare onsite before the festival begins. I plan on serving ribs at all festivals I do. I generally need about 6 hours to do ribs which includes the smoker getting to temp. Most of the local festivals like street parties and farmers markets in my area only give you about 3 hours to show up before the event. So my question is do any of you precook ribs before an event? I do have a commissary kitchen that I use. I've catered several events and parties but always cooked Ribs and served right away (Staggered Times as well). I might just have to leave the ribs off my menu. I'm concerned about the quality and I think precooking ribs just might not be what I want to do.

Thanks

Last edited by Big Johnson; 04-09-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Big Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #2
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

re heat with thinned out sauce or on a char pit
Old 04-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Ribs are usually not popular at festivals ---people do not like to stand up or walk around eating "messy" foods. They do not want to deal with the bones.

If you want to precook and reheat to serve, due to time constraints---warm up is best done on an open grill using charcoal or wood---the reasoning for the open grill is not because it is the best heating method-----the reason is because it is the best selling tool. Folks at festivals buy food with their eyes---meat in smokers is not even seen---it is passed by. An open pit loaded with meat will lure in way more customers.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

We cook all our food a day or two ahead of time and reheat in our oven.

When we do ribs, we sauce & foil before reheating them.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

what kind of permits do you need from the board of health down there? Probably should explain things a little better.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

We have tried ribs at festivals and won't do it anymore. As mentioned by Chuckwagonbbqco we also found that very few folks want ribs at these events due to the "mess" and price. They tend to not be willing to shell out for the price of ribs at these events. We stick with pulled pork/brisket sammies, sides & beverages. People like something they can easily eat while walking around (there isn't always seating available at festivals). We keep it simple and fast. The quicker we can get the customer served and cashed out the happier they are. It also helps our gross sales. One event we attend every year is a street festival. They have an ugly dog contest, at 11:00 am, right across from our booth. When it ends at about noon we get hit with around 300 sales in approximately 45 minutes. Sammies are fast to make and serve and have a MUCH higher profit margin than ribs. We also precook the meats and reheat on site with a grill.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Big Johnson
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizznessman View Post
We have tried ribs at festivals and won't do it anymore. As mentioned by Chuckwagonbbqco we also found that very few folks want ribs at these events due to the "mess" and price. They tend to not be willing to shell out for the price of ribs at these events. We stick with pulled pork/brisket sammies, sides & beverages. People like something they can easily eat while walking around (there isn't always seating available at festivals). We keep it simple and fast. The quicker we can get the customer served and cashed out the happier they are. It also helps our gross sales. One event we attend every year is a street festival. They have an ugly dog contest, at 11:00 am, right across from our booth. When it ends at about noon we get hit with around 300 sales in approximately 45 minutes. Sammies are fast to make and serve and have a MUCH higher profit margin than ribs. We also precook the meats and reheat on site with a grill.

Awesome... Thanks for the info. I will look into this for sure
Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Also, as "early mornin" pointed out, be sure to check with the Health Dept and the event coordinators to ensure that you are "legal". For example here in KS you are allowed to sell food at "up to 6" events per calendar year without being required to have a food license. And the events we attend have their own insurance that covers food vendors. The HD has a few requirements (like having a hand wash station) that must be met. Due diligence is your friend.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Big Johnson
Knows what a fatty is.

I have the necessary food license and insurance. In Florida your required to have a food License even though at the events you pay and they issue a food permit. I've just never vended at a local festival and wasn't sure how to go about doing ribs because most events only allow so much time to setup.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I get so amped up when reading posts like Big Johnson, bizznessman,
Marubozo, pwa in Alaska, HBMNT , and all the others that rock their grills...
that I want to jump in with both feet.
I don't stand a chance.

Last edited by mchar69; 04-29-2014 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: added Big Johnson. Bigger is better.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
I get so amped up when reading posts like Big Johnson, bizznessman,
Marubozo, pwa in Alaska, HBMNT , and all the others that rock their grills...
that I want to jump in with both feet.
I don't stand a chance.
Be sure to wear your high waders!!!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
skullleader1
Knows what a fatty is.

Here in Chicago...rib tips are very popular...more so then ribs....they are small bite size...and you can sell them cheeper then you would with ribs......and Yes I agree...Biznessman and like the others ROCK! ..with that imfo.
skullleader1 is offline   Reply With Quote