>
[/quote]

You shouldn't need too much distance from the barrel as it doesn't really get hot enough and any air gap improves that. Here in Texas the tank may reach 130* to 140* sitting in the sun on the deck, BTW with no issues. I would say mount it under the wire basket on the rt side and if you want put a piece of metal between the tank and barrel as a deflector.

So my stainless UDS is almost done. I've been called the name for years so I've decided to embrace it. The blank space is for "bbq"

So how's she look?

null_zpsa37a8c02.jpg

Looks great, did the same with mine in the middle. What did you cover the exposed steel with? I wipe mine down with Gibbs brand Lubricant... I use this stuff on everything, check it out. http://www.gibbsbrandlubricant.com/

Attachments

• 20130714_202946.jpg
    20130714_202946.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 653
Smoked up the neighborhood (lightly)

Decided to run the drum for the first cook.

Final results?

Attachments

• 20130803_223833.jpg
    20130803_223833.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 657
Not bad for a noob

Had a few tasty frothy drinks. Sorry about the sideways drum photo.
Here are the results

Attachments

• 20130811_194727.jpg
    20130811_194727.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 660
  • 20130811_194704.jpg
    20130811_194704.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 659
First UDS - Making some progress

I have posted a few times - as I have started my first UDS. I am working on it only occasionally because life tends to take priority.

Here are may latest pics.

I am now contemplating the lid. I eventually want to use a Weber lid, but I am clinging to the KISS principle for now. My #2 Weber lid sits on the rim of the UDS, but not over it.

My UDS lid is flat. I put the top grate supports only about 6" below the underside of the lid. So, I want to make exhaust ports that are as flush to the underside of the lid as possible - so as to maximize the area above the top rack. I want to use the top rack as much as possible. Also, I want to use fittings that will keep rain out during a cook.

I have determined that the area of a 2" exhaust hole is close to 2 1-1/2" holes, and 4 1" holes. Are there any suggestions for what I should do since my lid does not have a hole already? I am focused on keeping whatever I use, very close to the underside of the lid. Also, but not critical, I do not have a good tool for making holes bigger than 1-1/8".

Has anyone put exhaust holes / fittings on the side of the drum, near the top? They would look similar to the intakes, and they would not add weight to the lid.

Attachments

• 130803-14 - inside 2 - Small.jpg
    130803-14 - inside 2 - Small.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 631
  • 130803-12 - primed 4 - Small.jpg
    130803-12 - primed 4 - Small.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 633
  • 130803-01 - hole locations 1 - Small.jpg
    130803-01 - hole locations 1 - Small.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 633
I just grabbed these (200L/55 US gallons) and placed an order for a River Country thermometer and some high temp paint, can't wait to get started :biggrin1: now I just need to grab one of those hinged Weber grates and a few ball valves! If the first one turns out well I'm probably going to cut the other down the middle and create some kind of horizontal doohicky

1094781_10151866522449994_508531246_n.jpg

New here, and ready to build a UDS.

Ive had this old Shasta soda barrel in the shed for years holding shovels, rakes, etc.

It measures 36x18 (40 gallons maybe)

Can you guys tell by the pics if its lined or not? The bottom just has surface rust, but is pretty dang solid.

I didn't see finished build pics but hope he kept the Shasta paint job on the outside, it's awesome and original.

I just grabbed these (200L/55 US gallons) and placed an order for a River Country thermometer and some high temp paint, can't wait to get started :biggrin1: now I just need to grab one of those hinged Weber grates and a few ball valves! If the first one turns out well I'm probably going to cut the other down the middle and create some kind of horizontal doohicky

1094781_10151866522449994_508531246_n.jpg

I like the way these barrels look. It would be a shame to lose the paint scheme/logo during your burn.

I'm just saying.....

Pasmadj;

I used 3/4" ball valves and risers. The handle came from a $1.99 mastic glue spreader that I bought at Home Depot. I was looking for handles and really didn't like the choices that they had in hardware, so as I was wandering the store I saw the spreaders and also saw that the handles are screwed to the metal spreader part:idea:. I bought a couple of them and took the screws out and had the handles. I cut a couple 1 1/2" pieces of 1/2" conduit for spacers and screwed the handle to the top.:thumb:

Pasmadj;

I used 3/4" ball valves and risers. The handle came from a $1.99 mastic glue spreader that I bought at Home Depot. I was looking for handles and really didn't like the choices that they had in hardware, so as I was wandering the store I saw the spreaders and also saw that the handles are screwed to the metal spreader part:idea:. I bought a couple of them and took the screws out and had the handles. I cut a couple 1 1/2" pieces of 1/2" conduit for spacers and screwed the handle to the top.:thumb:

Very creative on the handle. Thanks. I may even have one of those grout spreaders in my garage.

My other question was about the exhaust pipe and fittings in the lid. It looks like you used short pipes and 90s. Did you use conduit nuts on the top and on the underside to secure the pipe?

Are the pipes and 90 deg fittings on the lid 1" diameter?

I haven't even come close to reading all this thread, but most of my questions have been answered. I've been looking for a smoker/grill combo for a while now ever since a few months ago when I tried to smoke my baby backs on my gas Kenmore grill. I'm usually pretty successful, but it is a constant battle to keep the little container full of chips from bursting into flames and sending my thermometer skyrocketing!

Since this gas grill is almost 10yrs old, the wife agreed that I should start looking for something new that meets my requirements and that the funds needed would not be withheld (married folk know what I'm talking about) I really wanted a 3 in 1 combo where I could do smoking and gas/char-grilling. I only found a couple that met that standard, but they were too expensive and the reviews were almost all unfavorable.

Fast forward a few months and I stumble across some UDS threads, pictures and videos. That was enough to get the UDS bug and I've been reading this thread pretty steadily ever since. There's a lot of great ideas and suggestions here.....I'd probably have to build 100 UDS's just to incorporate all of them.

Last night I got my basket made and started to season it. I can't say I was really surprised by the performance, but it was still impressive to watch. Once I got it up to temp (250degrees) I was able to hold it there for about 4hrs. Then I went to bed and woke up 8hrs later. The temp dropped down to just under 200. I opened all the holes and took a shower. When I came back up it had climbed up to 300+! I'm pretty sure that if I didn't need to go to work today I could keep the temp at 200-225 and smoke ribs all day!

And now for my one question.......I've seen a lot of variations on basket construction and a lot of them are not as big around as the smaller Weber grill. Is there an advantage to having a smaller diameter, taller sides as opposed to the larger diameter, shorter sides?

Thanks!

Some Questions, looking for answers

1) Bought a food grade 55gal drum (had concentrated grape juice in it) did an initial burn and sanded it. Does it need to be bare metal on the inside before seasoning? Got a quote for sandblasting @ $85 in the Augusta Ga area.

2) Where and what kind of stretched metal to use for the charcoal bin. Went to Grainger and they said they don't sell FDA approved/food safe metal. I can understand their hesitancy. I want something that will be safe to use without costing a lot of $$$ (hence why I am building a UDS)

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you,
~Clatus

I haven't even come close to reading all this thread, but most of my questions have been answered. I've been looking for a smoker/grill combo for a while now ever since a few months ago when I tried to smoke my baby backs on my gas Kenmore grill. I'm usually pretty successful, but it is a constant battle to keep the little container full of chips from bursting into flames and sending my thermometer skyrocketing!

Since this gas grill is almost 10yrs old, the wife agreed that I should start looking for something new that meets my requirements and that the funds needed would not be withheld (married folk know what I'm talking about) I really wanted a 3 in 1 combo where I could do smoking and gas/char-grilling. I only found a couple that met that standard, but they were too expensive and the reviews were almost all unfavorable.

Fast forward a few months and I stumble across some UDS threads, pictures and videos. That was enough to get the UDS bug and I've been reading this thread pretty steadily ever since. There's a lot of great ideas and suggestions here.....I'd probably have to build 100 UDS's just to incorporate all of them.

Last night I got my basket made and started to season it. I can't say I was really surprised by the performance, but it was still impressive to watch. Once I got it up to temp (250degrees) I was able to hold it there for about 4hrs. Then I went to bed and woke up 8hrs later. The temp dropped down to just under 200. I opened all the holes and took a shower. When I came back up it had climbed up to 300+! I'm pretty sure that if I didn't need to go to work today I could keep the temp at 200-225 and smoke ribs all day!

And now for my one question.......I've seen a lot of variations on basket construction and a lot of them are not as big around as the smaller Weber grill. Is there an advantage to having a smaller diameter, taller sides as opposed to the larger diameter, shorter sides?

Thanks!

Go with larger diameter and lower height for a fire basket. If you have a standard flat top drum, you want as much room as possible between the fire and the meat.

Go with larger diameter and lower height for a fire basket. If you have a standard flat top drum, you want as much room as possible between the fire and the meat.

I got a Weber lid on mine, but I do have 2 cook racks. I think that's what I'll do anyway. It's a little awkward getting it in and out, but that's just because a few of my grill supports are longer then they need to be.

Attachments

• uds1.jpg
    uds1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 626
  • uds3.jpg
    uds3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 630
  • uds2.jpg
    uds2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 627
My bad, sorry, forgot about the grate bolts. Since mine don't have them and my basket is accessed through the side, I overlooked the diameter issue of the fire basket on a standard UDS, since the basket must be dropped in and pulled out through the top.

Pasmadj;

3/4" close nipples with 90 ells on the lid also. Conduit lock nuts on both sides of the barrel top to hold the nipples secure.

Clatus;

I use the expanded metal from Home Depot. It cocts about $9.99 for a sheet that's 4' x 24". After the charcoal bin is completed I then use a weed burner to heat the metal red hot and that does away with any and all coatings that may be on it. If you don't have a weed burner you can find them at Harbor Freight or at Home Depot they call them ice melters. If you don't want to do that you can use a plumbers torch with propane or mapp gas to get the metal just as red. Stay upwind when heating the metal so you don't breathe in the metal/coating/plating off gassing.

Back