Almond or Olive wood???

Stark-O-Rama

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anyone here use Almond or Olive wood? We've used oak, apple, cherry, hickory, & grape....We've got a sweet offer from a local vendor on Almond & Olive, and was wondering if it's they're any good, and if so, what would you compare them to?

Almond/Olive wood for smoking

I haven't used either. They are not available where I live. A quick google search for both looks very interesting, though. Can you get some samples from him to test for yourself? Some woods give different results when dry than when green. I would like to hear what you find out.

I haven't used either. They are not available where I live. A quick google search for both looks very interesting, though. Can you get some samples from him to test for yourself? Some woods give different results when dry than when green. I would like to hear what you find out.

Hmmm.....Thanks for the info. Not sure if he'll give us samples - doesn't hurt to ask! We have a Comp in 1 week, and they won't allow our go to - oak.

If we get samples, I'll let you know.

Hmmm.....Thanks for the info. Not sure if he'll give us samples - doesn't hurt to ask! We have a Comp in 1 week, and they won't allow our go to - oak.

If we get samples, I'll let you know.

What kinda comp restricts what woods you can use?

I use almond all the time in my stick burner. Olive is kinda gnarly shaped so it's hard to get a good even stick out of it.
Go almond!

I'm in the Central Valley of California, It is Almond country, and is very plentiful and cheap. I've been using it in my stick burners for years. It has been great on everything I've cooked. I do use Hickory, oak and apple in my UDS, and I really can't tell much of a difference in any of them, although there are some subtle differences in taste. I'm not a comp guy and I just cook for friends & family, and nobody has ever complained about the smokiness of my cooks. Give it a try, you will like it.

I've used olive...it's fine. Didn't notice much of a difference between it and the acacia I had been using.

I've used Olive before.... Thought it was OK..... Smells wonderful, but has a bit of a bite to it I thought.

Back